PC specs sufficient?

MisterJingles

Hi guys

Can you please tell me if these PC specs are conducive to a fast running machine or not?

Ive been trying to get this PC running Autocad smoothly but it still hangs often and can be really slow.

If its simply an outdated machine thats fine, I will start looking to spec another, but I was of the impression that it was pretty decent so shouldnt be having these problems.

Your opinion?

Im running 2GB DDR400 RAM and an Asus 1gb 9800GT

Regards

Rob

PC.JPG

DDR 400? Is that the fastest RAM your mobo can handle?

I would max out the RAM to 4GB if the mobo can handle it and then tweak the Boot.ini file so it will recognize most of it by adding the 3GB switch as documented by both AutoDesk and Microsoft.

ReMark - I only have 2 slots for RAM and was told the biggest card I can put into each was 1GB. This Ive maxed the RAM capabilities on this PC. Right?

It kind of depends on what you are doing, but I would say that your machine is on the low end of acceptable. You only have 2 Gig of RAM and your processor has a CPUbenchmark of 519. The processor that AutoCAD claims as minimum has a CPU benchmark of 201. You are running a dedicated graphics card, I don't know enough about them to know if it is a good one or not.

If you are just doing 2d work, you should be good. If you have large drawings or are working in 3d, you probably need to upgrade. You say that you are seeing slow response times. If your machine is clean - no viruses no malware and just CAD running and you are still seeing slow response on the drawings that you are doing - you can benefit from an upgrade.

Glen

DDR 400? Is that the fastest RAM your mobo can handle?

I would max out the RAM to 4GB if the mobo can handle it and then tweak the Boot.ini file so it will recognize most of it by adding the 3GB switch as documented by both AutoDesk and Microsoft.

Remark, what do you mean by tweaking the boot.ini file?

That CPU doesn't even support a 64bit OS. That bus speed isn't even as fast as cell phones nowadays. In fact, my six year old "media center" that was parted out from an old build that is now in my bedroom has the same specs, with a tad bit better bus speed. From my experience with it, I can assure you its time for an upgrade. 8)

But save the video card, that's still more than decent.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I would like to know if anyone has any comments on the following machine ...

AMD athlon dual core 2.0ghz

4GB RAM DDR2 800

Geforce 7600gt

250gb HDD

I intend taking the 9800GT out my current PC and swapping it with the 7600 in this machine.

Any comments on the processor?

Regards

So, you're going to add a 9800GT to the current system, REPLACING the 7600GT right? It will help but I don't know how much you would actually notice in reality.....

Yes I was going to swap them over.

If you say I wont notice a difference then perhaps Ill leave them be.

Your thoughts on the processor?

Thanks

That computer is just fine for AutoCAD LT and anything 2D. You could have a blazing fast $5,000 workstation, and although the computer and application overall will run smoother, each literal tasks that you are doing will more than likely not be noticeable at all since the load on the computer isn't that much.

I mean, for a computer to draw a LINE is so simple that even the lowest of performance computers can handle it just as quick as the elite. My six year old custom build box at home runs AutoCAD 2010 just fine.... granted it's at a crawl when I start the program, or when I move a Tool Palette from one side of the screen to the next, but once I get to actually drawing 2D linework it's just as fast as my workstation at work. Hopefully this puts a little perspective on it. 8)

Yeah it does thanks.

My main problem is the time Acad takes to switch between MS and PS, opening and closing Block Editor etc etc.

Im guessing the increase in RAM would sort that out.

Yeah it does thanks.

My main problem is the time Acad takes to switch between MS and PS, opening and closing Block Editor etc etc.

Im guessing the increase in RAM would sort that out.

See, that is where a new computer will help. That's more of the application than the actual drawing. Not only that, you should learn to optimize the computer itself.

For instance, go download www.ccleaner.com and clean the temp files, registry, etc etc. Then defrag, I use www.auslogics.com. Then disable the unnecessary startup apps by using the MSCONFIG tip. After doing this, and restarting, this will freshen up the computer and free up much more available resources, helping overall performance.

For AutoCAD, use this thread to learn how to optimize AutoCAD for performance, one section in there talks about the Model/Paper space tabs and their cache to speed them up.

I've read that the days of defragging to improve performance have come to an end. Anyone come across this particular nugget of info? I think it was an article in PC World late last year.

Still believe in defrag particularly after trashing data files and/or removing any program(s).

Additionally, run diskclean once 'n awhile.

Steer clear, in my opinion, of registry cleaners. Norton's did cause me problems when I had two different AutoDesk products on the same PC. No more registry cleaning and all has been well for years.