Editing Cylinders

lethalcav

OK This is probably going to sound stupid but I'm new at cad so bear with me. If I make a cylinder and I want to cut that cylinder in half how is it done?

What Im trying to do is draw log siding which would be 14" high and 12' long however I cant figure out how to erase half of the cylinder.

THanks for the help

sounds like slice command would be best.. Use three of the "quads" as your 3 points for doing the slice.

Switch to a 3d view where you see both ends of the cylinder.

If you don't understand quad.. just start the "Slice" command and select the cylinder.. then hit enter and it asks for three points.. type in quad, hit enter again, and slide the crosshairs near the top and bottom of the circles at opposite ends of the cylinder, until you find a quad. Then do your next point typing-in quad again.

You'll need a different quad for each of the three points.. Assuming your cylinder is in view horizontally, use the top edge and bottom edge of the circles that make-up the ends to find your quads.

Then press "b" to keep both sides... then chose which half you want to erase and erase it.

Good luck ;)