Autocad 2004 on Windows 7 w/ XP downgrade?

CADTEX

I need to find a replacement PC fast for my Autocad 2004LD. I have been using a Toshiba notebook that has Windows Vista Home and I have been getting Autocad to work using the "Run as Administrator" option. With the Toshiba showing signs of hard wear, I'm looking for a more proper new computer with Window XP Pro, being as I have heard this is the optimum operating systems for v2004. It is hard to find a new PC though that has the Windows XP Pro already installed- Dell just sold out of what stock they had left. It seems there are many new computers with Windows 7 with the XP Pro downgradable installed. Has anyone used such a computer with the XP Pro downgradable feature? Any issues in using Autocad 2004 on such a computer? I'd rather cover all the bases before I shell out $$ for a new computer and find something won't work properly. I'm not even sure how the downgradable XP feature works, whether it is actually Windows 7 loaded and I need to reinstall with XP Pro, or if the computer is actually loaded already with XP Pro.... or is this 'downgrable' feature actually the Windows 7 running in XP mode that I have heard of? Any and all help appreciated, including some computer brands/models anyone is using that is operating according to what I intend to use mine for.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTEX

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• lionman

I'd go with the Pro version.

Thanks. So I need a computer that has Windows 7 Pro, and 2004LD will install and run fine? Will I need to run 2004LD in XP mode or will it run in W7? I have a Best Buy nearby so I can get a new computer today if I can only determine excatly what works and what doesn't. Best Buy is horrendous with their returns/exchanges so buying a W7 system only to find out it has issues with 2004LD would be a nightmare.

I cannot tell you with 100% certainty that a program designed to run under another version of Windows will run fine under Win7 even in XP compatibility mode. Many people have claimed absolutely no problems running older software on this new OS so it is probably worth a try.

I have never used W7... would I need to install 2004LD in the XP compatability mode, or just install 2004LD and then run it in XP mode? Is this XP mode thing the same as the "Virtual PC" I have heard (but never seen)?

Also, do I need 32 or 64 bit W7 to run 2004LD?

Sorry for all the questions...

Ahhh, I see now. The computer with W7 Pro would need to have the XP Mode downloaded, and then the Virtual PC downloaded as well. Then 2004LD would run in XP Mode. Whether it runs correctly would be hit or miss, though, as the hands-on consensus is swinging both ways on whether it runs.

If one had a choice of operating systems to use 2004LD on, would one go with Windows 7 Pro using XP mode, or go with Windows XP Pro? The computer will be used for CAD, Word, and internet only.

If I had the choice I would go with Win 7 Pro 64bit. This will allow you to gain access to more than 3GB or RAM which is invaluable with powerful software like Autocad.

Your problem lies in using such old software, I wouldn't risk trying to run Acad04 on a win 7 machine. It smells of trouble.

Just get a machine with the option to downgrade to XP pro. This "downgrade" essentially means you have an XP machine. there is no win 7 element left on the machine.

The other option is to invest in a newer version of Acad. Then you can use more RAM and enjoy all the fruits and performance of Win 7, as well as the improvements in newer versions of Acad.

Not cheap though!!!

If it really is THAT big of an issue, and you're not doing any "heavy" drafting in AutoCAD (aka massive 3D projects or anything) then just grab a new computer with Windows 7 64bit, load it up with as much RAM as your budget allows, and install Windows Virtual PC to run Windows XP within Windows 7. Problem solved. 8)

If it really is THAT big of an issue, and you're not doing any "heavy" drafting in AutoCAD (aka massive 3D projects or anything) then just grab a new computer with Windows 7 64bit, load it up with as much RAM as your budget allows, and install Windows Virtual PC to run Windows XP within Windows 7. Problem solved. 8)

Cool beans. The projects are simple: no 3D, minimal layers, no XREF, etc... will take your advice and go get the damn thing already!

One more question though on the W7... do I need to get the W7 Pro version in order to run the Virtual PC?

No, but I wouldn't get anything less than Pro. Just..... well just trust me (again). :lol:

:) I'm killing everyone with all my questions! Going to see if I can get a Dell ready-to-go. I really appreciate all the help!

:) I'm killing everyone with all my questions! Going to see if I can get a Dell ready-to-go. I really appreciate all the help!

No worries, someone is always here to help. You'll have much more functionality from Windows 7 if you have Pro. Here's a comparison.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

Thanks, my biggest worry is getting a new system, having 2004LD not work on it, and not being able to return it for another system (or getting stuck with a huge restock fee).

Being as it appears most local retailers carry W7 Home systems, I'm going to get a new system online. Looking at a Dell Vostro 220 or a Dell Optiplex 380 with W7 Pro....