Move point of face of 3D obj to another obj face

sevdo2000

So something so simple but so hard to do for me - from the title.

I'm doing so - draw a "point" on the 3D obj plane then place UCS on the plane of obj, destination of move. From properties make the position Z = 0 of the point properties and then move another object. Align command doesn't work here because I want to move on the pojnt of 3D obj to plane with the same XY coords, but Z=0. Is there way to snap plane to plane (to INDICATE point of move and INDICATE plane to another obj). THANKS

I'd stick with identifying the center of the two faces to be put together, and using that as your "Move" start and destination points.

So your wanting to move an object only on the "Z" axis?

A screen shot would help here.

KC

not only on Z axis - it is private case of that I cant't move another way.

the method of MikeScott is not working because i want to move random point of plane of object to plane of destination obj to only 1 axis move (no mather what). It's like to snap to plane

"red point to red plane" - is there way to indicate the point and then the plane do do this move on one axis?

"Move" "end"(endpoint) to "per"(perpendicular), "End" (endpoint) should work, but I'm not sure what UCS you'd need to switch to, because it may sometimes also cause the rectangle to "slide" rather than "Drop", since it's using a point for reference, rather than a plane or surface.

I've also had success switching the UCS to the view shown in your top-left view, and drawing an arbitrary vertical line, and then moving it to the bottom corner endpoint of the item to be moved.

Then return to the UCS you were using, and show the properties of that line..

Switch the endpoint to z=0 in the properties window.

Then move the part from one endpoint of that line to the other.

Although.. if the red endpoint is supposed to be centered on the other face.. draw a line from endpoint to enpoint across the middle of the Red Face and move the object from Red endpoint, to new Midpoint of redface line.

I don't understand your answer to Kencaz, unless you're saying it just HAPPENS to be Z-only movement in this example.. otherwise he's correct. If you're keeping the X,Y coordinates the same, but adjusting the Z to zero, you're moving on only the Z-Axis.

Yes, I'm doing and in that way but it's so long ... I want shorter way - but in loggical there's no way. Thanks anyway.

I don't see why "Align" will not do the job...

KC

I dont know ... it seem to me like command move (one point to another) when you confirm for second point the first one) ... I think there is a easy way ...

P.S. I'd manage something with point filters but its not so fast like I want

or when the UCS is set to destination obj. plane xy, "move", point of the plane of moved obj, up arrow on the keyboard - this appears the last x,y,z coords of the moving point, make the z = 0, and its work :).

Thanks for replyes

You may want to investigate point filters.

Based on the screenshot, I'd probably do something along the lines of:

MOVE

Type: .xz

I'm not entirely sure that's what you're looking for, but that's my best guess for now. I should note that this is almost exactly the same thing that kencaz illustrates, just using move instead of align.

I think I would just do a couple quick dist commands. You made the two solids, so you have some idea of why they are the size that they are and where you want them to meet. Then choose the one. Type 'MOVE', do a basepoint, of 0,0,0, then make the second point the difference between the two points that you want to mate.

You may want to investigate point filters.

Based on the screenshot, I'd probably do something along the lines of:

MOVE

Type: .xz

This sounds to me much profesional thanks ;). I'd tried something with .x and .y but was slower than your method

This sounds to me much profesional thanks ;)

Check mine out... it's not professional at all... My only "training" was given to me by the intern about ten years ago, and more recently some seven year old books from the library...:lol:

Check mine out... it's not professional at all... My only "training" was given to me by the intern about ten years ago, and more recently some seven year old books from the library...:lol:

May be this is too "professional" for me :D, but I didnt understand your way :) If you good to explain better ? Thanks

Well, I created two boxes, like I think you are talking about. I put the red lines on them to create some arbitrary intersection point. I tried to actually use the POINT command, but then I could not get it to osnap to it. Anyway, the pic here shows me doing a distance command between the two points.

Then I might jot down those x,y,and z distances. Then use the move command, then choose the one object. For the first point, it is easiest to enter @0,0,0 or to simply click a basepoint anywhere on the screen. Then enter the displacement as in @3.53,2.95,-1.78. (these are the distances in my specific example, yours will be different). And they should be lined up. I guess the only trouble is that if the objects are not a nice discrete amount apart, then they may not be actually lined up.

My other suggestion would be to take the one point created by the intersection of the two line segments on the smaller block, use that as your basepoint for the MOVE command. Then, use the point on the second block as your destination point, and then those two points will be totally one and the same location. Just make sure OSNAPS is on....

The key is that if you created the geometry and know what the two points are that you want to mate, you should be able to come up with several different ways to mate them.

two boxes.jpg

I tried to actually use the POINT command, but then I could not get it to osnap to it.

Then I might jot down those x,y,and z distances. Then use the move command, then choose the one object. For the first point, it is easiest to enter @0,0,0 or to simply click a basepoint anywhere on the screen. Then enter the displacement as in @3.53,2.95,-1.78. (these are the distances in my specific example, yours will be different). And they should be lined up. I guess the only trouble is that if the objects are not a nice discrete amount apart, then they may not be actually lined up.

My other suggestion would be to take the one point created by the intersection of the two line segments on the smaller block, use that as your basepoint for the MOVE command. Then, use the point on the second block as your destination point, and then those two points will be totally one and the same location. Just make sure OSNAPS is on....

Old school :thumbsup: . Thanks. For snap to point, you can check "node" in osnap settings (if you're using still A2002 I don't remember if there this option).

With block I've do that and it works well too. Thank again for explaination.

For snap to point, you can check "node" in osnap settings (if you're using still A2002 I don't remember if there this option)

I've got Node as an option, I just checked.

But I've not yet found a use for the POINT command. I suppose if you wanted to have a 0,0,0 point somewhere on a surface that is not a corner or center. Or maybe an isoplot. If I need some kind of reference point, I've become a big fan of XL (construction lines). And if I find that I am using them a lot, I throw them on a separate layer to toggle on and off as needed.

• 1 month later...