fatal error

hdrk55

Has anyone experienced this error - unhandled access violation 0x0004 exception at 62079dd0h? It has progressivle gotten worse over time. It happens during cut and paste - going from paper to model space and vice versa . I cant even open some drawings now w/o a crash. Any insight would be appreciated

Is your version of 2008 current with all updates?

Have you cross-checked the error message at the AutoDesk website?

So it happens across numerous drawings and not just a particular drawing?

One way is to click on Help in the menu at the top then pick "About". Next, click on the Product Information button. The info should be in the next window that comes up.

You can also type the word "About" at the command line.

Are you on a networked computer or a standalone?

Note: The error message you received was not specifically listed at the AutoDesk website although they did list 5 errors that all started with 0x0004 exception. No specific mention of AutoCAD 2008 either.

Can you provide us with full system specs?

Have you run an Audit on any of the drawings that you have experienced a problem with?

Are Xrefs used in any of these drawings?

service pack sp1

version B.219.0

i have run audit on these drawings - no help

i copied and pasted other drawings into my drawings. since started bringing in as xrefs because of huge drawing sizes

system spec-3 gb memory

intel core 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.40 gh

Are you the originator of the drawings or did you get them from an outside source like a contractor or a client?

You say "huge drawings". What kinds of file sizes are we talking?

Did you check to see if it might have anything to do with scalelists?

i started the drawing- copied and pasted an architects drawing then did the same w/ 3 other trades drawings. This made the file size around 17 megs. I have since inserted as overlay xrefs to save size. I'm having this problem on various drawings - all big files. Scalelist ???????

Yes...Scale List.

"A list of predefined scales are displayed in the Properties palette, the status bar, and other locations within the program. This list can be easily modified to display only the scales you need."

Could be your scale list has grown out of proportion with what is required. Trim it down if need be. Use the SCALELISTEDIT command.

By the way, have you purged these drawings at all?

ran scalelistedit-erroe- unhandled exception has occured in a component in your application- also says index was outside the bounds of the array.

yes i did purge it

• 5 weeks later...

One of my users is experiencing this error whenever he opens a specific drawing. The drawing was created in AutoCAD 2004, and it will open just fine there. When he tries to open it in AutoCAD 2009, he gets an error message saying:

FATAL ERROR: unhandled access violation...

I've made sure he is up-to-date with service packs, and have tried the drawing on other computers with the same result, so I think the error must be coming from the drawing itself. We have run autit and purge on this drawing using '04, but it still keeps crashing '09. I've tried using TrueView2010 to convert the drawing back to different file formats, and nothing I have tried works.

Has anyone found any solutions to problems like this, or know of any other way to clean up a bad drawing since it can't be opened with AutoCAD?

What we ended up doing was the following:

Create a new drawing in 2004.

INSERT the existing DWG, despite any error messages.

Run Purge and Audit

Save down to v2000 format

Open in '09, works like a charm.

Glad to hear you found a solution to your problem. Still, it makes you wonder what happened in the first place.

Thanks for updating us.

To be honest, I think the problem may have been due to the fact that he had also been using Carlson Civil '09 on this file. I had been trying to do all this inside of standard AutoCAD '09 and only later found out that the user needed '09 because he was using his Carlson '09 on AutoCAD '09 install. I've never had a problem going between the two, but then agian I've never done it with an old '04 file format. Either way, it works now so I don't really care why it was broken. :-)

• 11 months later...

Newby, newby here with my 2d post. I have been muddling around with several 3D drawings and occasionally have the vicious Fatal issues. One thing I notice is doing a simple save. I honestly think I'm freaking out the software by bouncing around so many ucs's. How I've been able to 'rid' the drawing of any carma (?) is to (making sure all layers are on) w-block the entire drawing out to a new file name. Oddly this sometimes removes whatever it is that causes the crash; but often times only for a short period of time. By frequently doing these w-block 'saves' I don't lose too much info at each crash. Thank goodness for recovery manager.

Perhaps you have a corrupted file. I'd do an AUDIT / RECOVER before resorting to WBlocking out portions of the drawing. But it is your drawing so do with it as you will.