Acad 2000 with Windows 7

mariobross55

Hi

I have installed Acad2000 on my laptop running under Windows 7 familial premium. I didn't use the install set up since it is a 16 bits application, I just copy all the file to my folder. Acad is running fine except that I can't use the DIM command, I received an unknown command message !!!! like for RECTANGLE, PROPERTIES.... it seem that some commands can't be recognize... is there a fix beside updating my Acad 2000 which is doing fine for what I need....

Best regards

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Searcher1024

• f700es

• gutek

Autocad 2000 is no longer supported by Autodesk, so there are no updates or fixes that will make it run on the latest operating system. Do you have Autocad set up to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP? If not, you should try that first. If that doesn't work, you might want to take a look at this thread at the Autodesk Discussion Groups: http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=749755&tstart=0

I don't understand why people would expect a program that is 10 years old to run under Windows 7 without any problems. What were you thinking?

• 2 years later...

Actually, I just installed ACAD LT 2000 on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The solution is so incredibly simple!!! The ReactOS website has an excellent explanation under the heading: INSTALLING 32-BIT PROGRAMS WITH 16-BIT SETUP LAUNCHER STUBS.

See: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988

It explains that 16-bit loader stubs initiate 32-bit install programs. Older versions of AutoCAD are 32-bit programs and will run in Windows 7 64-bit OSs, but they used 16-bit installer stubs. Based on the information provided at the above referenced webpage, it is possible to identify the installer program for many AutoCAD versions as being an InstallShield installer. A 32-bit version of the installer is available here:

Version 3 launcher replacement:

http://toastytech.com/files/Is3Engine.zip

Version 5 launcher replacement:

http://toastytech.com/files/Is5Launcher.zip

(The version of launcher you have can be found by right-clicking on SETUP.EXE and clicking on the "Version" tab.)

You must copy your entire installation disk to a writeable directory or flash drive, and include the 32-bit setup in the same directory. In Properties, set compatibility to Windows NT 4. Run the setup32.exe program.

For me the programs installed without any problem. It worked for me on ACLT 95 and ACLT 2000. (ACLT 2000 was an upgrade and I had to install 95 first.) Hope it works for you.

Any program I pay $4000 for better work 10 years later!!!

• 2 months later...
Actually, I just installed ACAD LT 2000 on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The solution is so incredibly simple!!! The ReactOS website has an excellent explanation under the heading: INSTALLING 32-BIT PROGRAMS WITH 16-BIT SETUP LAUNCHER STUBS.

[snip]

Searcher1024, bless you! Ever since we upgraded workstations at the office a few months ago I've been suffering through the "XP Mode" solution of running ACAD2000 in a virtual machine, which has file storage issues, graphics bugaboos, and configuration headaches. I just upgraded my computer at home with Windows 7 Professional 64 -bit, and idly wondered if anyone had figured out another way to do this...and lo and behold you figured it out. Thank you very much!

Details of my install process:

In my case, my AutoCAD Architectural Desktop 2 CD had the version 3 installer. I copied the whole CD to the hard drive, copied the new .exe overwriting the original setup.exe, and ran the new setup.exe (using Windows 2000 compatibility to run the install).

While installing it gave me a minor error relating to dao3032.dll and dao350.dll, but they appear to have been installed so I'm not sure what the error was. It also was unable to create a Start Menu program group so I'll have to do that manually. Lastly, I went to run the program and it said the ac1st15.dll file was missing...but it was in the "AutoCAD Shared" folder where it was supposed to be. I copied the entire contents of that folder into the main AutoCAD folder...and voila! It runs perfectly! If any issues crop up once I start really using it, I'll come back and note them in another post.

Edited by celing
added config details

• 4 months later...

It explains that 16-bit loader stubs initiate 32-bit install programs. Older versions of AutoCAD are 32-bit programs and will run in Windows 7 64-bit OSs, but they used 16-bit installer stubs. Based on the information provided at the above referenced webpage, it is possible to identify the installer program for many AutoCAD versions as being an InstallShield installer. A 32-bit version of the installer is available here:

(The version of launcher you have can be found by right-clicking on SETUP.EXE and clicking on the "Version" tab.)

You must copy your entire installation disk to a writeable directory or flash drive, and include the 32-bit setup in the same directory. In Properties, set compatibility to Windows NT 4. Run the setup32.exe program.

For me the programs installed without any problem. It worked for me on ACLT 95 and ACLT 2000. (ACLT 2000 was an upgrade and I had to install 95 first.) Hope it works for you.

I tried this with installer version 3. Have the disc copied to a folder with the 32 bit installer in that folder. Set compatability to NT 4 and run as admin After allowing UAC nothing happens. No install. Any advise? Steve

• 2 months later...
Guest KArthur1

Searcher1024,

I have acad 2000 and Win 7x64. Here is what I did.

1. Copied the entire CD to my hard drive.

2. Verified the verison of the installer is Installshield 3.0.111.0

3. Downloaded and extracted the IS3Engine. Placed this Setup.exe in my folder that I just copied off the CD. Overwrote the original Setup.exe

4. In the properties of the new Setup.exe, I change the compatibility to Windows NT 4.0 and then ran the file.

.............. After about 20 minutes, it finally launched !!!!! :roll:

Thanks

I could not figure out how to get the service packs to install. The setup file for them is named "SetupEX.exe". They are not the same installer as the one for the main program. Guess I can do without the SP's.

Edited by KArthur1
found an error

The extracted program should be setup32.exe and not setup.exe. You do not have to overwrite the original setup.exe since that is not the file you will be running. Since I do not have any service packs for ACLT2000, I am afraid that I am not able to help you in that regard. I am glad to hear that it finally launched! Sorry not to have responded sooner, but today is the first time I checked the forum in a while.

Searcher1024,

I have acad 2000 and Win 7x64. Here is what I did.

3. Downloaded and extracted the IS3Engine. Placed this Setup.exe in my folder that I just copied off the CD. Overwrote the original Setup.exe

4. In the properties of the new Setup.exe, I change the compatibility to Windows NT 4.0 and then ran the file.

.............. After about 20 minutes, it finally launched !!!!! :roll:

Thanks

I could not figure out how to get the service packs to install. The setup file for them is named "SetupEX.exe". They are not the same installer as the one for the main program. Guess I can do without the SP's.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for this, I've been trying to figure out how to get around the installer for months now!

I managed to get this to work for ACADLT2000; couldn't find a "version" information in setup.exe. but used is3engine.zip and it worked fine. It didn't install in my programs folder, rather I have to run the aclt.exe version that was created in the same directory the installation CD was copied on. Everything seems to work great except I can't get _pagesetup to run (and further, I can't plot) regardless of whether I try to run aclt.exe in compatibility mode for Windows XP. Luckily I'm working with years worth of files with predrawn layouts, so I've been able to get away with doing all my printing from Trueview.

Did anyone else who tried this run into a similar problem with their install?

Edit: Actually, I found out that if you copy the CD files to a folder directly on your C:\ drive, and direct the installer to put the program in that same folder, plotting works. I originally had it installed as a subfolder in my user folder. Had to uninstall by deleting the original files, and doing a system restore to the day before I installed everything; the uninstaller doesn't seem to work with this hack. Now I just need to find out why I get a fatal error regarding ACISMOBJ15.DBX whenever I bring up the properties box.

Small price to pay to have CAD working again!

Edited by mikel

• 2 months later...

I utilized this installer engine, and was able to get accept the EULA, offer authentication, define the destination, etc, but as soon as installation actually begins, I get "Error: -2 file:\\DATA\A.1" where\DATA appears to be a directory created by the installer. Suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I try to run autocad 2000 with with W7x64 following instructions from Searcher1024,

Looks like is not working !!!!

Yeah, well sometimes that happens. Not everyone is going to be successful.

Let me ask....do you do any 3D drawings? Do you make use of any Express Tools commands or custom lisp routines?

Since that is the case then you are in luck.

Put AutoCAD 2000 aside and forget about it. Go to the Dassault Systemes website, makers of Solidworks, and download their FREE 2D AutoCAD-clone called Draftsight. Draftsight is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions so make sure you download the correct one. While you are there also download the FREE Getting Started manual which is a PDF. Now DS is NOT an exact duplicate of AutoCAD but it is close enough that you should have no trouble getting used to it. DS has its own online support forum populated by other DS users so you will have a readily accessible community of people who can answer any questions you may have. DS will open any AutoCAD drawing done up to and including AutoCAD 2010 file format. It also writes to the AutoCAD 2010 file format so you can share your drawings with others. Did I mention that Draftsight and the Getting Started Guide are FREE?

You can't always get what you want.

I'm not a big fan of PDFs so it never occurred to me to look for that functionality. I don't use it so I didn't miss yet. Sorry about that.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I did all steps indicated, run the setup32.exe program OK, launched AutoCAD installer OK, but then appears a message ¨Can´t create folder AutoCAD 2000¨, and failed the rest of installation.

There is nothing about Autocad installed in the Program Folder (x86).

How can I do to solve this?

sorry by my poor English.

Are you running the program setup32.exe as Administrator? Also, the suggestion regarding DraftSight is a good one.

A printer driver like BullZip can allow you to print a drawing file to PDFs from AutoCAD as if you were plotting it. I use it. Just FYI, I have my AutoCAD LT installed on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, and it all works fine for me. But of course, computers have always liked me. :D