Query on How to cut a plate with an agled plate penetrating through it.

CAnnondale

Hi Guys,

I have a query again. Hope that you can help me again. I do have an assembly consist of a plate 20mm THK. and a Pipe Ø273mm. The Pipe penetrate through the plate in a certain angle "let say 45°". How do I cut the plate following the angle of the pipe.

I have tried the Project Cut edges and the Project Geometry but that does'nt help. I have attached a jpg of the scenario.

Cutting Plate with Angled pipe.JPG

In the .iam, right click into the plate part, edit, and a work axis by selecting the angled pipe. Open the plate part up (you should have the axis in there, which is refrenced to the angled pipe), and create a work plane perpendicular to the axis ... draw your circle, and create a projection (remove material, through all), and you should get the ellipse cutout you require.

Are you wanting the cutout to be non-angled? If you require the flat profile geometry to export for NC processing, the above method will produce double profiles where the cutout is due to the angled edge of the plate. To produce a clean profile, it's a bit more involved ...

I'm still working on a cleaner solution to do that ...

Hope the above helps.

Thanks linnmaster,

The first step did the work, it creates a hole following the contour of the pipe and the angle as well. :thumbsup:

If you wish for this to update you can Start a sketch on the end of the tube(or the original plane that was used to extrude the tube) while in your plate part(edit mode). Project the edge of the tube(will be a circle since this is normal to the tube). Extrude this Through All while editing the plate. If you change the angle or size of the tube it should still cut through the plate assuming their relations hold true. On the other hand a part like this would typically have a 2d cutout for the plate and use that to locate the tube. It really comes down to the end result you need. If you want a 2d cut through the part, start a sketch on the face of the plate, project the edge of the tube(will be an oval), then extrude-cut that. As long as your sketch is on the face of the plate(planar) and a 2d sketch, you can extrude the projected profile through.

and another method

Edit your plate part in the context of the assembly.

Copy Object as Surface the pipe cylindrical face.

Split Part using the copied surface as the cutting tool (Sculpt might also work).

I would then Thicken-cut the hole face to add a bit of clearance.

Another way around is your could Thicken-Cut the surface rather than Split or Sculpt, but this will leave internal of pipe through plate. Simply Delete Face with Lump option to delete this leftover disjointed solid.

Attach your files here if you can't figure it out.

I have a picture here for you guys but I don't know how to attach it

I projected the cut edges in both sides of the plate and joined them with straight lines to obtain an elongate hole

I have a picture here for you guys but I don't know how to attach it

I projected the cut edges in both sides of the plate and joined them with straight lines to obtain an elongate hole

You have to click on the "Go Advanced" button then the paper clip to upload your image:

upload.png

KC

thanks for the note sir.

here is a possibility to solve the problem. This is a slot cut perpendicular to the plate which is more likely the way it is cut in real life ether with oxy or laser

it needs some clearance of course

cut in angle.jpg