AutoDesk support-How is it?

Runnerguy

I posted a note to this forum regarding problems starting up the trial version of LT. Anyway, went through AutoDesks site and basically came up empty with regards to any kind of help other then their canned questions. no phone numbers, no email, etc.

Anyway, that lead me to wonder about their product support. And I'm not talking about the "How do I draw a line" stuff. I'm talking about installation, crashes, transfering to a new upgraded computer, stuff like that.

Anyway how is it? I'm getting the feeling that if I fork out the three grand plus for the full program the only thing that may go smoothly is my check clearing the bank.

I called a few local resellers that were listed on the Autodesks site and they were of zero help.

Thanks for any feedback.

Doug

AutoDesk encourages the customer to form a "relationship" with their local authorized AutoDesk reseller. Translation: buy your software through them and sign up ($$$) for support.

The other options are 1) get a Subscription through AutoDesk (AD) which is $475+/year, 2) trolling the AD website for info, 3) visiting the AD Discussion forums, 4) joining AUGI and visiting their forums or 5) hanging out here at CT (the greatest AutoCAD Help forum in the universe!). I see you have already made a wise choice.

Thanks Mark. I was figuring the key was to find a good reseller and get the personal support. I guess the task would be finding a good one because the two I talked to were of no help.

And you're right, this is a great forum and would like this opportunity to thank you for your contributions. I just started learning about a year ago so I'm almost to the point of being able to answer a question myself(Like how does one draw a line??).

Thanks!

Doug

You got further along that I had assumed you would. Unless you got the latest and greatest version of Acad, you essentially get no place there. They all claim to know only the latest version.

For other than the current and most expensive version, you are expected to go to smaller locations for help (like here).

Wm.

A good start to get answer is from autodesk.com/tech-supp - I think you have visited it...

I believe that you can also get support from local reseller (Autodesk partners).

They should be able to help you, if they found similar/general problems before. Otherwise, they have access to the Autodesk support and get the answer of your question.

Probably allowing all their customers to contact Autodesk directly will need lots of efforts and time consuming... as we know many people are using their products.

But yes, having a good reseller that can support you very well is very important.