dynamic text with dynamic blocks

jpd

I am working on creating various standard sized window elevations using dynamic blocks. Each window elevation needs to have text underneath it that tells you the unit size of the window. While I have successfully created all the various elevations using dynamic blocks I can't figure out how to make the text appear to change with the various window unit sizes. for instance I have a small window that has text underneath showing 1818 (18"wide x 18"high). I need text to change to say 1820, 1824, 1830, etc. I can get the 1818 text to stay centered under the elevation as the window gets wider/higher but that is it. Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jpd

• dbroada

• JamyB

• mbaumhardt645

Heres the way I do it: Use a linear dimension and turn off the extension lines and arch tic. Edit the text to show what ever you want in the dimension. you can play with primary units so that it stays in inches. Then use the Distance Parameter & Stretch Action on your dimension and your window.

Good enough?

The text is not a dimension at all though...it's nothing more than a label created in mtext and placed under the window unit elevation. I need the text to change as the window unit changes in width and height.

Jon

How are you changing the width and height in your dynamic block? which action? parameter? If you remove the extension lines from the dimension your left with only the text. You can set that dimension so that when you change your window, the dimension changes as well. I can send you a block as an example if you wish.

I use a linear parameter and stretch action to change the width and a linear parameter and stretch action to change the height. All this is then connected with a look up table that allows me to pick from 38 different window unit sizes. I can get my text that is labeled 18x18 to stay centered under any window unit size but I cannot seem to figure out how to get it to change to reflect the width and height of the window unit.

if you only have 38 combinations you could use 38 visibility states!

if you don't get it sorted I will see what I can do. You will need one attribute displaying two fields. Link one field to the vertical distance parameter and the other to the horizontal parameter. You will need to do a regen to get the attribute to display correctly

Unfortunately this is based off of just one page in a window manufacturers catalog that has wayyyy more combinations of products than I could ever count so visibility states may not be the way to go. I'd be weaving baskets in the old folks home before I finished. ;)

I think everybody's ideas are headed in the right direction, but I need the text to automatically change as the size of the window changes. I need to take the manual input of entering text out of this. The perfect dynamic block would be if an architect inserts this they would see immediately what size window they have by the label at the bottom of the unit. By the way did my drop down menu of all the window sizes pop up in your CAD system? Thanks for your help on all of this, it's nice to collaborate with folks.

Jon

I don't think you can access the distance Paramters through anything other than an attribute so I don't know how you can do the label with MTEXT. Likewise without adding some LISP reactor behind the insertion you will not get the field to update automatically. A simple REGEN is a good compromise. I prefer to set ATTREQ to 0 so that the attribute page doesn't come up when the block is inserted.

I didn't see any table but I wasn't loking for one.

What I sent you should have a look up arrow on the lower left. If it didn't come through with that then there may be an issue between CAD flavors. I'm running AutoCAD 2009.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone figured out Jon's question in the last three years? I'm doing the exact same thing. Making a base file for a bunch of windows and would like to not make a block for every single one. Visibility states are also out of the question.

• 1 month later...

I believe I have a solution to this problem. After creating the window w/ the height and width linear stretch parameters, 2 separate attributes need to be created below the window. One attribute will be for the width, the other for the height. The left attribute should be right justified, while the right one should be left justified.

Then create a Block Properties Table. Add the linear distance parameters and set the window sizes for the different combinations available. Then add the width/height attributes to the table. Enter what text you would like to show for each size. Be sure to check the box that says "Block properties must match a row in the table." That way whenever the size changes, the text will automatically update.

I have attached an example file. However, I believe the proper way to call out the window size would be to list the width dimension first (currently it's the other way around). Hope this helps.

WindowDynamicBlock.dwg

Alternatively you could use fields that display the length of a line for the height and width, which could be done with one Mline text in the block.