windows 7 64bit autocad 2010 problems:(

dannysteel

my program freezes i'm using autocad 2010, windows 7 home premium.i'm using the program then it stops working can anyone tell me what the problem is.please help thank you

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• engosara

• Cad64

• ReMark

• dannysteel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not without more details.

What were you doing or attempting to do when the problem occurred?

Did you download and install Update 1 for AutoCAD 2010 prior to trying to use it?

First of all, it's not windows 764bit, it's windows 7 64bit. And you're not using Autocad 10, you're using Autocad 2010, there is a huge difference. If you use the correct terminology, you may get more replies. I have adjusted the title of this thread accordingly.

As for the problem you are experiencing, you need to tell us as much information as you possibly can regarding what is happening. Just saying "i'm using the program then it stops working can anyone tell me what the problem is" is like taking your car to the mechanic and saying "I'm driving my car then it stops running, what's the problem?" There is no easy way to diagnose the problem unless we know exactly what's happening. At this point, all we can do is guess and thow out options hoping that maybe one of them will solve the problem.

Help us to help you.

What are you doing when this problem occurs?

Does it happen when using a specific command?

Are you working in 2D or 3D?

How many other drawings do you have open?

How many other applications do you have running?

Are you working off a server or your local machine?

What are your full computer specs?

sorry i know what u guys mean thanks for helping,well i'm using:Gateway sx, with Intel core 2 quad cpu q8200 @ 2.33GHz. Ram:4.00gb. windows 7 home premium 64-bit os. display adapter:intel g45/g43 express chipset. I think i covered all. OK my problem is that I'm using auto cad 2010,I'm working in 2d then the screen freezes or it's slow and i have to re open a new window for auto cad. another thing is that I'm imputing dimension on my drawings and i get a different dimension than the one just imputed.And no i don't have any other applications running just auto cad.I'm just a newbie,I appreciate your help.thanks

I have the quad core version of that computer. I was also having this problem when I first installed Acad 2010. The problem was corrected when I upgraded my ram to 8gb.

i think i got all the minimum system requirements,but i still have the problem I just found out the I get this error from my computer "Display driver" time out something i couldn't read the whole error cause the computer restarts every time. could it be cause i have both applications running autocad 2010 ans autocad revit? i doubt it cause i have a 4gb memory, but i don't know can you tell me what the problem is.thanks

could it be cause i have both applications running autocad 2010 ans autocad revit? i doubt it cause i have a 4gb memory, but i don't know can you tell me what the problem is.thanks

There's one way to find out. Try running just Autocad and see if your system freezes. If it doesn't, then you will have solved the problem.

You should probably consider upgrading your RAM to 8GB though. 4GB just doesn't go as far as it used to.

4GB should really be more than adequate for any 2D CAD application, especially considering the overall performance increase of Win7. However, I could definitely see the graphics adapter being a bottleneck, though not necessarily a big enough (or small enough, as it were) one to cause the program to freeze and crash.

4GB should really be more than adequate for any 2D CAD application, especially considering the overall performance increase of Win7.

Not necessarily. He says he's running Autocad and Revit simultaneously.

From the Autodesk website

Revit minimum system requirements:

* Microsoft® Windows® 7 32-bit Enterprise, Ultimate, Business or Home Premium edition; Microsoft® Windows Vista® 32-bit (SP2 or later) Enterprise, Ultimate, Business, or Home Premium edition; or Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP2 or later) Professional or Home edition*

* Windows 7 or Vista processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology

* Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology

* 3 GB RAM

* 5 GB free disk space

* 1,280 x 1,024 video display with true color

* Display adapter capable of 24-bit color for basic graphics, 256 MB DirectX® 9-capable graphics card with Shader Model 3 for advanced graphics

* Microsoft Mouse-compliant pointing device

* Windows® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or later

* Download or installation from DVD

* Internet connection for license registration

Danny, have you tried running just Autocad, as I suggested previously? Did your system freeze up or not? How about giving us an update? :unsure:

Hello all,

I'm using windows 7 and have used it on both 32 and 64 bit with absolutely no trouble. I've got 4GB RAM DDR3, previously when my PC was 32-bit Windows 7 only 3GB of those could be accessed and used by the operating system. So, I'd count RAM out as the problem. To back this up and clarify that RAM shouldn't be a problem, I'm currently running, AutoCAD 2010, 3DS Max 2010, Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop CS4 with absolutely no trouble or crashing in 64-bit.

I'd have a look at your graphics card drivers, check they're up to date and check that AutoCAD is tuned for maximum performance from your hardware. It also wouldn't hurt to download SP1, though I don't believe I've ever done that.

P.S. What's your lowest score in your 'Windows Experience Index'?

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 920 Processor 2.80GHz

4.0GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512MB G-DDR4)

64-bit Windows 7

I'm currently running, AutoCAD 2010, 3DS Max 2010, Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop CS4 with absolutely no trouble or crashing in 64-bit.

But are you running them all at the same time?

Minimum required RAM for Photoshop = 1GB

Minimum required RAM for Illustrator = 1GB

Minimum required RAM for Autocad = 2GB

Minimum required RAM for 3ds Max = 2GB, (although 4GB is recommended).

Minimum required RAM for Revit = 3GB

I would like to hear from the OP and find out if he's still crashing running just Autocad or is it only when he tries to run Autocad and Revit at the same time.

I had files open in all of them and was working between them, so as far as humanly possible I was working in all of them. Though, obviously I'd agree with you Cad64, if he's having trouble he should maybe... turn one of the programs off :) I'm assuming that dannysteel isn't trying to do a render in one of these programs, whilst using the other. It'll be using all the processors to do the render if that's the case.

I'm assuming that dannysteel isn't trying to do a render in one of these programs, whilst using the other. It'll be using all the processors to do the render if that's the case.

Precisely why I would like to hear back from him and get more information. He did not mention the fact that he was running Revit in his initial post, which is important information he should have included. So he could very well be trying to do other things that he failed to mention. I just feel like we're not getting all the information here. :unsure:

sorry guys for no replying back,thanks for all of your info.Yeah I was running the two programs at the same time i also had the internet running,maybe that was the problem,i just thought that i wasn't gonna get this problems since i have 4gb of memory and a good processor.,i actually bought this computer form an architect,he had a couple of computers with the programs already installed, so that's why i thought it could be a good computer and plus it was brand new.

oh and about the score in "windows experience index" i have 3.7.

and for now thanks to you guys i'm not having the problem right now,just by running 2010 alone.but what about in the future if i need to have both cad and revit running,what is it that i need to do to fix this issue,some of you guys say that i don't that much memory and some that yeah i need more(8gb), i just don't wanna upgrade and still have the problem,thanks again for all your help.

But are you running them all at the same time?

Minimum required RAM for Photoshop = 1GB

Minimum required RAM for Illustrator = 1GB

Minimum required RAM for Autocad = 2GB

Minimum required RAM for 3ds Max = 2GB, (although 4GB is recommended).

Minimum required RAM for Revit = 3GB

I would like to hear from the OP and find out if he's still crashing running just Autocad or is it only when he tries to run Autocad and Revit at the same time.

These minimum requirements are not cumulative; but total system memory recommendations. If you check your task manager (Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to it) while these programs are running, 99% of the time they'll be using less than 250MB each of RAM.

For example: I have 3 instances of microstation running, each with their own file loaded, and the total RAM usage right now for the 3 instances is 58MB. The recommended amount of RAM for Microstation is 2GB.

These minimum requirements are not cumulative; but total system memory recommendations. If you check your task manager (Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to it) while these programs are running, 99% of the time they'll be using less than 250MB each of RAM.

For example: I have 3 instances of microstation running, each with their own file loaded, and the total RAM usage right now for the 3 instances is 58MB. The recommended amount of RAM for Microstation is 2GB.

Understood, and you can open multiple instances of any program, but once you start working on heavy files, that usage will start increasing. Especially if you're doing 3D work. And as the files stay open longer and longer, that usage will start increasing. Try leaving all 3 instances of microstation open all day and check your system usage as you are working on various files throughout the day and you will see the numbers increasing.

Microstation is also a different program. I currently have Autocad 2011 open, with no drawing loaded and my system usage is already at 221mb. Once I open a drawing, it jumps up to 358mb. If I open 3 drawings, I'm now up to 470mb.