need to create a flat surface on curved surface

harley558

the attached drawing is of a wheel assembly. I have no problem creating the wheel and disc, my problem lies within creating the surface for the valve hole. That surface is actually an area that is 1.25 in. sq. and is pressed flat the depth you see in the section view. How do I acheive this and keep everything solid?

a.dwg

are you using inventor 8? im not sure what tools you have available but there are several ways to approach it. One that comes to mind using an older version would possibly split tool on the face and replace face option.

here is what i have done so far

I suspect that for the tooling a round punch would be less expensive, but here is the inside/outside view of what I was able to get using your latest information.

The draft angle and fillet size could be adjusted if known.

Rim.jpg

i know you told me the steps you used, what i am still wondering is what did you extrude to acheive this. i apologize if i am not totally following you on this

You start with a solid minus the bead.

Model the outside.

Shell creates the inside uniform wall thickness from the outside.

Revolve the bead on the edge.

Whenever you have a part that is uniform thickness (like pressed sheet metal) you only need model one side of the thickness and then Shell will create the otherside. Works for this part except for the hemispherical beads around outside edge of the rim - these can easily be Revolved after the Shell feature.

Solid Rim Shell.jpg

You could also model it using a surface, add in your valve stem feature, stitch together and thicken. And you have the sculpt tool, thicken/offset and replace face that could all be used to various extents.

I wasnt sure, i know it was in 10 but thats as far back as i went:)

On the subject of shell. Most rims cross sections arent uniform thickness. Does shell in V8 have multithickness options? Specifically wherever his "spokes" would hit.

On the subject of shell. Most rims cross sections arent uniform thickness.

Good point. There is plastic deformation of the material when formed that is going to result in thick/thin areas. I think most simplify the modeling by using uniform thickness (as in the dwg) but this can be important, particularly when designing tooling.

I don't recall how long Inventor has had multi-thickness shell. Sometimes that won't work and then it is down to laborious surface modeling both sides.

on the thickness i was speaking more in terms of design intent rather than mold flow. Something like this image.

crosssection.jpg

In this case it doesnt appear to be an issue but other rim ideas, especially FWD rims with large offsets would seem to have more material at the spoke. Something like a motorcycle rim with hollow spokes would be more uniform throughout except at the hub.