Rev date vs Dwg creation date

donbosco

I want to clear this in my mind!

Everytime i step up revision on my drawing I update revision box with date-rev and who's who.in our title block this is on right hand side and above company logo and title.

Now we also have columns like Dwg # , Drawn By, Scale, Approved by and DATE column under title at right hand corner.

In my understanding DATE here is Dwg creation date. Now my new Manager want me to match that DATE also with my rev date (see first para). So per him i need to update both dates whenever rev is stepped up.

Till date i used to only change date in rev box not the later DATE box.

Anyone can clarify this please. let me know if this is confusing. thanks.

Tell your new manager, very nicely (use an even tone here), that the original date of the drawing is never changed and only the date in the Rev box is.

Only the date, as ReMark stated, is changed in the revision block(s).

Of course with date, revision, short explanation. Original date of the drawing remains constant, always.

My office is the same way. We have a revision list that starts with "Rev 0 - Original submittal" and the original submittal date."

A new revision would be listed under that with the appropriate date.

We update the main date in the corner everytime we release drawings, so that it's possible to indicate a re-release of drawings rather than a revision release.

In doing drawings for NASA they wanted us to use that format, and we never switched back. They had several stipulations regarding titleblocks and dimensioning requirements.

I was brought up where you never changed that original date. It took a little getting used to, but in the end, I'm thinking it wasn't all that critical either way, as long as the original date is adequately presented, and so are the revision dates.

Those were mechanical drawings as opposed to Architectural.. is there a different school of thought for those two types? I just figured NASA.. you know.. I wasn't gonna' mess with it. :)