layer dialog locking up

BELLGROUP

My layer dialog is locking up when I try to open it. It is not open on the side were I can not see it, and I have set filedia to 1 and two other setting to 1 as recommended by others in the forum, but it did not work. is just taking a long time to open (so it is not really locking up) just taking a long time to open. Is there some reason that it is taking so long. Is there a setting that I can change. I'm running 2005.

Thanks

When did the problem first occur?

Have you tried exiting AutoCAD then starting it up again?

2005? Did you keep it current with service packs as they were released?

What are the system specs?

Notice any other propblems with AutoCAD? How about with other programs?

I'm not sure were it started but it seams to only be in a few file when it does it. I have just switched to from 2000i to 2005 and I believe that it could be in those files that were created in 2000i. I just checked and if I create a new file the dialog box pops right open even though the template that I am using was created in 2000i

Find, download and install the service pack(s) for 2005. Do this with AutoCAD shut down. Then restart AutoCAD and check things out. Any improvement where there were problems before?