Fire Engine Turning Circles

nman

Hi, new to the forum so please forgive me if I have not placed my first thread in the correct title.

Basically I work for a company of house planners and we are constantly being asked to place Fire Engine turning circles onto our drawings to satsify the Buidling Control department.

I have searched many site to try and find a down load to no avail.

Can anyone please help with thsi item. If not I`m goping to be forced to "make it up" so to speak.

Many thanks for any anticiapated help

Neil

We use Autotrack for producing vehicle turning movents

Its a faily comprehensive pacakge with a wide catalogue of vehicles. If you have to carry out the turning movements on a regular basis it could be worth investing

See the attached link for info

http://www.savoy.co.uk/

Hi, new to the forum so please forgive me if I have not placed my first thread in the correct title.

Basically I work for a company of house planners and we are constantly being asked to place Fire Engine turning circles onto our drawings to satsify the Buidling Control department.

I have searched many site to try and find a down load to no avail.

Can anyone please help with thsi item. If not I`m goping to be forced to "make it up" so to speak.

Many thanks for any anticiapated help

Neil

Your local fire marshall should be able to provide you with the necessary dimensions. Ours is easy to work with, hopefully yours is also. Most of the inspectors are so glad to be pulled into the design process they go out of their way to help. Your mileage may vary.

Rkent's idea will keep you current with the local ordinances regarding what size those should be.

It's not just a specific vehicle's turn radius, it's the code requirement, which, in theory, accomodates for worst case scenario, in terms of what speed they might be travelling at, what new vehicles are expected in-future, how many vehicles might be expected to be there at a time, etc.

If you aren't big enough for code, you're screwed.. if you're too big for code, your client isn't going to be happy when someone says "wow.. this is MUCH bigger than it has to be."

Get the codes, or get the guy who enforces those codes, and find-out where you'll need to be to get your approvals.

Way back when, as a part of the Conditions for a shopping center, a normal one was to make the area acessible to fire trucks. The local FD agency who made up the condition had no such turning templates around, but knew of some.

Turns out they were exactly the same for a big garbage truck, down to the inch in radaii, here or there, but the FD refused to admit so.

We began using some cheapy free software for a garbage truck given to a local architect (and they were notoriously sloppy) and it worked out OK. When plans went in, seems that the local architect was on the city hourly bill, and checked our plans for turning radaii too. Using same exact software we had and they gave to us. But, won't admit to the Fire truck as having same radaii requirements as a common Garbage truck.

No, that would not be right.

Wm.

Like Coosbaylumber here in Aus the majority of fire trucks are just that a truck chassis modified to meet fire fighting needs.

Watching American movies though there fire trucks always seem to be monsters. You have not said where you are so even if someone has some typical turning templates they may not match your vehicles.

I am sure if you can provide more detail size of vehicle some one for free or small fee can provide cad templates for typical movements 90deg 180etc.

You could try the attached... one is a dynamic block, I don't know if LT supports them. They were recreated (digitized) from turning templates from a well known company that specializes in this sort of thing. Probably close to a garbage truck; never been questioned by an 'authority' for use as an emergency vehicle though. Designation - SU-30 R42

ACAD-Drawing1.dwg