Scaling

Webbo86

Hello,

I've been using AutoCAD for a couple of months now, all self taught, and ive been asked to produce a drawing at a scale of 1:50.

I've produced the drawing to scale in the model view, but how do i scale it down to 1:50 to put into my layouts?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gsksun4

• ReMark

• bonehead411

• sparkyuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Create a viewport in your layout. Apply the scale to the viewport. Model space objects should be drawn full size and not scaled up or down.

I have a A1 template or what ever size paper I require and all I do is to doulble click inside of my viewport, then select what i want to have in my view port, then in the pull down in my viewports tab *(see attached picture)select what ever scale i want and bobs your uncle its done,

I dont know if this is the correct way but works for me :D

scale.jpg

I do it much the same way. I find that many people do not have the Viewports toolbar enabled however. In that case another option is to use the Mview command to create the viewport(s). A viewport scale factor can be entered via the Zoom command's Scale option. It takes the form of nXP.

Since the OP have 2010, when the Viewport is highlighted (clicked on), the current zoom factor can be seen and altered at a box at the bottom right of the screen. It works like the Viewport toolbar, but with Ribbon active, toolbars at least imo don't fit in.

I do it much the same way. I find that many people do not have the Viewports toolbar enabled however. In that case another option is to use the Mview command to create the viewport(s). A viewport scale factor can be entered via the Zoom command's Scale option. It takes the form of nXP.

I'm studying this thread because I don't have much experience with viewports except with the paperspace tabs. I have a bottom right button that enables maximize and minimizing the viewport, but when I click on the button, the full toolbar doesn't stay open where you can set the scale. The arrow left and right are grayed out, although previously I opened it somehow without knowing, but now it won't stay open.

Any thoughts?

Glenn

USA

2009LT

OK, I just hit the model space button in the lower right hand corner and the tool opened up.

Sorry.

gsksun4 If you have not got viewports tab showing,right click at the top where the viewports are showing, as on my picture i posted above then a drop down menu will come down select viewports and it will appear at the top as it is on my picture

Since the OP have 2010, when the Viewport is highlighted (clicked on), the current zoom factor can be seen and altered at a box at the bottom right of the screen. It works like the Viewport toolbar, but with Ribbon active, toolbars at least imo don't fit in.

Thanks for pointing that feature out Tiger. I tend to forget it is there. I have room for the Viewports toolbar at the top of my screen. Still using a 21" CRT.

gsksun4 If you have not got viewports tab showing,right click at the top where the viewports are showing, as on my picture i posted above then a drop down menu will come down select viewports and it will appear at the top as it is on my picture

Thank you, I added the toolbar as you suggested, however in 2009LT the scale dropdown is grayed out and is nonfunctioning. That's OK, I figured it out using the tool at the bottom right.

Thanks for pointing that feature out Tiger. I tend to forget it is there. I have room for the Viewports toolbar at the top of my screen. Still using a 21" CRT.

we're not all so lucky :wink:

Thank you, I added the toolbar as you suggested, however in 2009LT the scale dropdown is grayed out and is nonfunctioning.

Did you have a locked viewport selected at the time?

Did you have a locked viewport selected at the time?

Thanks, not sure how to check that, I'll have to do it in the morning. Only have cad at work. I'll be sure to look into it.

Highlight the viewport and right-click. Look at the entry for Display Locked. It is either No or Yes.

By highlight, you mean double click? That puts the model/paper space button to model and thickens the layout frame box. I then right click and it says already in model space at the command line. I'm not so sure I have a viewport now. I do have the area of the dwg isolated to the space in the layout frame, and can plot what I want OK. I have two tabs named Page 1 and Page 2. I did get the viewport toolbar activated and the scale thing can now work though. Think I'm lost with the viewport thing. I hardly use them, so I guess I need a class or something. I thought I had it, but I guess not.

Thanks for your effort all.

No. don't double click within the viewport, just click the viewport boundary once, then right click and somewhere near the top of the list it should say Display Locked....

Make sure your viewport layer is turned on before you try this, otherwise you may just be clicking your drawing border.

And stick with it, once you get it, you'll wonder how you got by without them.

When you click on the viewport there should be a lock symbol on the bottom of the screen, if it is grey the viewport is locked, if it is yellow it is open.

No. don't double click within the viewport, just click the viewport boundary once, then right click and somewhere near the top of the list it should say Display Locked....

Make sure your viewport layer is turned on before you try this, otherwise you may just be clicking your drawing border.

And stick with it, once you get it, you'll wonder how you got by without them.

OK, I just clicked once on the layout frame. The green solid line box around the drawing. The line went dashed with grips at the corners. I assume that's highlighting the viewport. No list comes up. I right click once in the viewport and the layer manager come up. Now I'm thinking I should do something with the "New Layer Frozen In All Viewports" button at the top of the manager.

All my layers are on, but I see no viewport layer.

Sorry to be so uneducated in this area. It's one of those things in cad I never had to address.

Do NOT click INSIDE the frame of the viewport once it is highlighted. Place your cursor outside the frame and right-click. Display Locked will be the sixth entry from the top of the list that appears.