Viewports not showing up in Properties Manager

Tim1681

I've been on the internet for about an hour now looking for a solution and it doesn't seem like anyone else has run into this sort of problem.

I am attempting to change the scale of a viewport. I am able to do it by changing the zoom scale in the model space of a viewport, but I would prefer to scale it with the Scale List in the Properties Manager.

Problem is, when I have the PM open and I select a Viewport, the PM does not change. It continues to say "No selection" in the selected objects drop-down box. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

This is very interesting to me since every tutorial and post I have found online says to just "select the viewport, right-click and view Properties." I have tried it on new drawings, and existing drawings and AutoCAD still does the same thing.

Is there a dialog box somewhere that determines which objects are selectable by the PM? That would probably be the easiest explaination to my problem!

I am using AutoCAD 2007 :?

The viewport is on a seperate layer which is visible, thawed, and unlocked; and the viewport itself is not display locked.

What happens if you do a select all and then go to the Pm. does the viewport show up in the drop down box

I drew two lines on the layout, and selected all. Only the lines are visible in the drop-down box; "Line (2)"

I have opened the drawing in 2010 and no problems here, I can highlight the Viewport and it then shows in the Properties Manager....can you change the layer of the Viewport to something else?

It's not that you have multiple AutoCAD windows open? I know that if I do, I can have Properties up in one window and not in the other and it can confuse the hell out of me...

Did you create this viewport or was it the standard viewport that you get when you start a new drawing (If so what happens when you create the viewport yourself?

I just sent the same drawing to a colleague who is running the same version of AutoCAD and he was able to view the Viewport properties.

I am currently going to do a computer restart. I will see if that fixes anything. If not I will do a fresh install. This is just looking more and more like a bug on my install.

Here's why I think it may be a bug: When I don't have the PM open, and I select the viewport, and then Properties, when the PM opens, it stays blank. No content in it whatsoever. And then when I deselect the viewport, the PM loads all of the content and input boxes for whatever I deselected to.

Did you create this viewport or was it the standard viewport that you get when you start a new drawing (If so what happens when you create the viewport yourself?

I'm right now dealing with this same kind of thing.

It does seem to matter how you came about the viewport as to how you can get to the properties. Whether it was an ortho, a polygon, or clipped from another vp seems to matter. Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough to have figured it out exactly. But trying to create them from scratch is a good possibility.

I am in 2002, so things may have changed also, but I have found out a few things the past couple days.

Make sure you are in paper space and turn on the layer that has the actual box of your viewport. Select it like you would. Then try to right-click. See if you get this, and if so, then you need to unlock the viewport first before you can do anything else. You should also be able to choose properties from here. I typically don't keep PM open unless I am actively changing something. But then you might find it in the properties.

Or up above on the viewports toolbar, you have some scale options. You can select your viewport, unlock it, and then enter/choose the scale there.

Alternately, you might use the old command -vports to get at some of the features you need/want.

Personally, I am finding the viewports to not be very intuitive, and the whole layer manager w/in each vp to be cumbersome. In theory, it's a nice idea to have this functionality, but in practice, it's very tedious...:cry:

Good luck, hope these tips help you get where you need to go.

vp issue.jpg

...I am currently going to do a computer restart. I will see if that fixes anything. If not I will do a fresh install. This is just looking more and more like a bug on my install.

Choosing the Repair Option may be better than a complete re-install

I am attempting to change the scale of a viewport. I am able to do it by changing the zoom scale in the model space of a viewport, but I would prefer to scale it with the Scale List in the Properties Manager.

And once you do get you zoom scale set, LOCK it in (with the PM or the right click mention I just pasted) before you do any dimensions or you will be kicking yourself later. Rolling the middle wheel on the mouse becomes so second nature, that it's almost inevitable you will do it at the wrong time w/in an unlocked vp and mess up all your work....

This has historically been caused by a registry cleaner being used on the computer. A repair of the install usually fixes things, then inform you IT support that a registry cleaner is causing problems with AutoCAD.

• 4 months later...

I have a very similar problem, if not the the same where the properties manager dialogue selection field is blank.

Has anybody pin-pointed where this problem emanated. Re-install did not release this problem.

I am currently using Acad2008 as a platform for Bently AutoPLANT XM.