Annotation

vertical horizons

How do you go about annotating in an Inventor drawing?

I want to label several objects (pump, tank, etc.).

Can this be done in an .IPT file?

If not, where can this be done?

And how?

How do you go about annotating in an Inventor drawing?

I want to label several objects (pump, tank, etc.).

Can this be done in an .IPT file?

An .IPT file is not an Inventor drawing.

You can add Engineers Notes to .IPT files, but I'm not sure that is what you are after.

Inventor represents the real world equivalents with different file types.

A part is an *.ipt file. It is a solid model, not a sheet of paper.

An assembly is an *.iam file. It is a collection of parts (*.ipt) and not a sheet of paper.

A drawing is an *.idw (or *.dwg) file. It is the electronic equivalent of a sheet of paper - a drawing. The drawing can be of parts or assemblies.

Traditional practice is to create the annotated drawing on a sheet of paper (or the electronic equivalent - the *.idw file).

The people out on the shop floor don't have any difficulty understanding the real world differences between parts, assemblies and drawings but I have seen new Inventor users get all confused by the electronic virtual equivalents of these. A tip is to keep a project in an electronic folder and it should be simple to keep track of your parts, assemblies and drawings.

...You can add Engineers Notes to .IPT files, but I'm not sure that is what you are after...

I would like to be able to identify which object is a pump, or a cleaning tank, etc., along with a leader, if possible.

Which types of file(s) will allow me to add notes? (.IPT, .IDW or .IAM.)

.idw is the 2d drawing you want to create, it has the leader tool that your after. Create a base view first of the part of assembly you want to annotate.

I would like to be able to identify which object is a pump, or a cleaning tank, etc., along with a leader, if possible.

You can create simple or complex balloon leader annotations. I did this simple one with "Auto Balloon"

balloon.png

Which types of file(s) will allow me to add notes? (.IPT, .IDW or .IAM.)

Use an .idw to insert your base view... Don't forget to change your menu bar from "Drawing Views" to "Drawing Annotation"

annotation.png

KC