Anyone use PDF attachments?

KPR

Whenever I attach a pdf to a drawing, I can never get my drawing to print out! It's driving me nuts.

It just sits there forever and when I go to task manager it says Autocad is not responding.

I am using LT 2010. I have not yet succesfully gotten a drawing to print out with a pdf underlay.

The pdf is only 142kb....I don't get it. I tried different printers, even tried creating another pdf and I get nothing. It locks up every time.

This question seems to be comming up more and more often.

I've given my own solution to this problem before in various places.

It seems that some of the newer Postscript printer drivers have problems printing PDFs and Images embeded in Autocad.

It also seems that some printers install the Postscript drivers as standard.

If you change your print driver to a PCL6 or similar the problem goes away.

Just for reference

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46366&highlight=driver

I'm using a PCL6 driver and it's still not working but that does give me an idea to perhaps try some other drivers. At least now I now it's not just me, thanks for the help!

It seems to print tif images or jpg's I have attached to drawings just fine, but not the pdf.

I guess I'll keep trying different options.

Are the pdf's created by AutoCAD? An AutoCAD pdf carries pretty much all the info of the drawing and then slaps a vector image on top of it, does it not? So it can be imported back to AutoCAD?

Correct me if I am wrong, somebody. That is merely a guess based on the fact that an AutoCAD pdf usually hits way more than a megabyte for each 500 kb of drawing size.

When my drawings only require printing on the other end of the email, I have taken to using TrueView 2010 to plot them to a pdf file.

I have had AutoCAD created pdf's completely overwelm my print buffer or whatever the techy thingy is called. Not only do they take forever to spool to print, (once, overnight was not long enough, I canceled it) sometimes the lineweight and font weight are hopelessly scrambled up. I can even see it happening in plot preview. The pdf image flows down the page almost line by line and character by character, especially if there is a lot of hatching in there too.

I have never had any of these issues using TrueView to create pdf's meant to be only printed or viewed on screen.

I haven't had any problems, I create (print) *.pdf's using Adobe Pro 8. There are newer Adobe Acrobat programs available but, why bother.

Adobe Pro 8, old by todays available programs, does an excellent job.

From Adobe I sometimes save the *.pdf as a *.jpg that I might use for a presentation.

Couldn't exist (read "communicate") without a good *.pdf file(s).

Adobe Pro will also reduce the file size.

Just thouhgt that I would throw in my penny''s worth here.

I operate from my home office and am using my client's single user Acad 2007 on a stand alone PC which they have kindly supplied me.

The problem here being that they do not have Acad in their offices and at best can only plot from an A3 size printer. Should a larger copy be required this can be obtained through an outside source.

Some 2 years ago I downloaded a small PDF file titled "Cute PDF" and have been creating PDF drawings as an attachments to my e-mail messages. Works just fine for me, no hiccups!

However I do have Adobe 8 and consider using this in future.