Can An Array Be Used to Delete Multiple Features?

sloansmith

Using AutoCAD 2010:

I am interested in knowing if the Array function can be used not only to create multiple features in a pattern, but also to delete them. Say I created an array in a 2D part and in a later revision I wanted to delete a line that is in the same spot in all 1000 instances of the array. Could I somehow use the Array function to DELETE that line in all of the instances? Or is there some other way to accomplish this, obviously without going through and selecting the line 1000 times.

What immediately comes to mind for me is quick select. invoke quick select (qselect in the command line), in the object type select line, in properties select length (second from bottom) and enter the length of the line in the value window. make sure the operator drop down says "= Equals"

Now, the drawback to this is if you have any other lines in the drawing at that length, it will select them too.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the Quick Select button, which I had not known of before that. I'm having problems using the QSELECT. When I try to select a line by using the length metric, it still doesn't select those lines. Maybe it's because I can't find the exact length? I dimension it with the maximum numbers of precision, and use that number for the length, but it still won't select those lines.

Like you mentioned, if I'm trying to delete, for example, one side of a square (equal sides), and there are 1000 instances of the square, the QSELECT won't work, since it would select all sides of the square, so I'm still looking for a way to easily select multiple features if they're at uniform spacing. Thank you for the help!

erase the array, modify the original objects, make that a block, now array again, if any further changes are needed you can modify the block.

Awesome... I was unaware of "blocks", but using them will greatly change (in a positive way) the way I use AutoCAD! That totally solves my problem. Thanks!