Level of Detail vs View in Assembly

linnmaster

Hello all.

Can someone give me a run-down and explain to me explicitly what the difference between view and LOD in an assembly is and when do I use what? I'm finding it difficult to determine which to use when creating the views in the drawing ...

And also, sometimes, when I create a view and hide visibility of a part, I get a message to remove associativity? What is this talking about? Not wanting to stuff something up, I'm forced in this circumstance to create a LOD instead ... but actually, I'm not quite sure what is the difference. I'm primarily wanting to create view/LOD for drawing view puposes and associated functions like BOM in view and nothing else.

Thanks - David.

Level of Detail is something that you can use to speed up the performance of Inventor. You can create different level of details with suppressed components(for example) that arent needed for the current operations/view or whatever.

The error you get in regards to associativity probably has to do with the current model view. For instance if you create a view that is your current model view in the assembly, being associative means that if you go back to the assembly, rotate the parts, your drawing will update. If you remove associativity, it will not.

Thanks for the response. So for instance, in a drawing, to create certain views with various parts ommited for clarity purposes etc ... would you create LOD or a view?

Thanks for the response. So for instance, in a drawing, to create certain views with various parts ommited for clarity purposes etc ... would you create LOD or a view?

It'a only my opinon but I would use LOD first, and views second. My experience is that, especially when working with large assemblys, LOD's are more stable. Also LOD's can be linked from sub Assemblys to main assembly's.

I would recomend reserving Views for changing the visual properties of a part or assembly, such as colour for example...

Thanks for the response Pablo. Colour to me doesn't play much of a role ... as I personally do not bother with colours in my drawings, just black and white, with different line types and thicknesses ... makes things simple.

What I've found is: For instance, I don't want to show particular items in plan, but I want to show these them in elevation and again something else in end or the projected isometric view, I find that I can select say View1 for elevation, and pick View2 for plan. If I have set LOD1 and LOD2 suppressing various items of the assembly, in the elevation view, if I select LOD1, then the projected plan view also is set to LOD1. I cannot have a different LOD for each view ....

So then what's the point of LOD?

Maybe only to improve the performance of Inventor as shift1313 pointed out earlier?

• 4 weeks later...

You can have a different LOD for each view. You need to uncheck the link between the parent view and the child views...

LODs are entirely made up for the sole purpose of system performance in Inventor. Users have developed other ways to use them, but this was the reason they were added. I have consistently come in contact with users and my own designs that number over 10K in total parts. Without LOD and the option to partially open the assembly designer time in canvas is greatly reduced.

You can have a different LOD for each view. You need to uncheck the link between the parent view and the child views...

Even with the link broken between parent and child view, LOD is greyed out in child view. Only parent view has valid LOD ... at least that is what is happening with me anyways.

But I think you have to use views .... and I have been able to what I need to do with views with much more ease compared with LOD.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Regards,

David

• 3 years later...

Are you referring to Position Representations.

Allows representations of assemblies with remaining degrees of freedom (motion) to be shown in multiple positions.

There are many different uses for this including Overlay views of position in drawing.

(just realized my arrow drawn the wrong direction, but you get the idea)

Pos Reps.JPG