2D Topo to 3D drawing

christreeroot

I have a very good 2D topographical survey and want to make it into a 3D drawing with all the contors etc.

This is just a bit of a personal project as i practice with the software and try to advance my knowledge, is there a simple method for doing this and can anybody provide advice or links to paperwork.

Thanks in advance....:D

Do you have a drawing with polylines and text with z-values and then you want this to become a tin? Me myself use to turn the 2d pl into 3d polylines in design menu (to make radius into short lines with verticis), and then turn the 3d pl into feature lines because featurelines are easier to edit. Is this what you were thinking of ? And if that so, does anyone else have another way of doing this?

Is there a simple method for doing this

If only there were :cry:

You will have to use the information on the drawing (ground levels) to make 3D points and 3D break lines. Then you can make a ground model from which you can create the contours.

If you have the original coordinate file (Easting, Northing and Level) from which the drawing has been made, then the process is easier. Otherwise it is a hard slog to do a proper job.

Do you have a drawing with polylines and text with z-values and then you want this to become a tin? Me myself use to turn the 2d pl into 3d polylines in design menu (to make radius into short lines with verticis), and then turn the 3d pl into feature lines because featurelines are easier to edit.

Why turn 2D polylines into 3D and then into Feature Lines? If you have contour data, and that's what you want to use, why not simply add the elevated 2D contours directly to the surface as Contour data? That's what that option is there for. It even gives you weeding options.

Although, of course, contour data is the worst possible data to use for building a surface, because it has the potential of introducing so much error. If you have a plan with sufficient spot elevations and grades - for example, if you have a plan of a parking lot that you are trying to turn into 3D - then the best bet is often to run that linework through Map Cleanup first, to turn it all into clean 2D polylines. Then turn the 2D polylines directly into Feature Lines (without turning them into 3D polylines first), and use the spot elevation and other grading information to set elevations on the Feature Lines. Then add the Feature Lines to the Surface definition as breaklines. This typically yields a better surface than contours, if you have enough data.

For some plans, you may want to use a combination of the above methods. For paved areas, and other areas with solid spot elevations, you may want to use Feature Lines. For open grass or dirt areas, you may want to use the contours.

An extra do you have the point heights as text if so there are a number of routines here for converting into xyz file or 3d points.

Only thing is you need to move all the text slightly some times to get the correct xy position as the programs use the insertion point for xy.

If thats all you have it can be quicker than moving all the contours to a new z value. But will not take into account breaklines but these can be added.