Middle Button on Mouse Won't Pan

stopandgo

So, I've never had a problem with this before...but seemingly out of nowhere the middle wheel-button on my mouse stopped working when I try to pan real-time. In addition, double-clicking it will no longer zoom out to the extents of my drawing.

The wheel's rolling function works fine for zooming in & out, but when I press it down to pan, nothing happens.

I know the button still works when pressed because when I change the button's Mouse Settings to--for example--switch between active/inactive windows outside of ACAD, it does that just fine. No, it seems that the middle button's functionality stops working only once I'm in AutoCAD (currently using ver2007).

What I've Tried (and doesn't work)

1.) Setting MBUTTONPAN=1

2.) Changing local mouse settings for the wheel (as well as other buttons) to "AutoScroll," "Universal Scroll" and "Middle Button"

3.) Unplugging/re-plugging in the mouse from the USB port

Mouse Info

Mouse: LogiTech MX310 Optical

Driver: 9.79

I've scanned related threads with no luck. Any bright ideas out there???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• kfonsy

• Volleyer1

• stopandgo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hm...but before I could even try reloading the driver/CD, it seems the problem has now magically fixed itself.

All I did was Shut Down (including 1 other User, which was simultaneously logged on), reboot the computer, open up ACAD with my drawing, and voila the middle-button panning worked again.

Maybe it had something to do with the other User that was logged on--which happened to be Admin--which has a different Mouse button configuration? That particular setup used "Universal Scroll" as the middle button function....although I don't see how this would affect ACAD operations on my User Account. But it's the only thing I can think of that changed between it not working an hour ago and it working perfectly fine now.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion StevSmith. I hope this issue doesn't pop up again

Maybe it had something to do with the other User that was logged on--which happened to be Admin--which has a different Mouse button configuration? That particular setup used "Universal Scroll" as the middle button function....although I don't see how this would affect ACAD operations on my User Account. But it's the only thing I can think of that changed between it not working an hour ago and it working perfectly fine now.

That is probably the issue. The mouse behavior is a Windows controlled function, then AutoCAD builds on top of what is already there. Maybe Admin (Who is that? They work at my place too.)somehow set the mouse back to default.

I am not sure if you can make the mouse functions part of YOUR Windows user profile, but I would try. When you have multiple user accounts in Windows, it is better that you create and save a custom profile.

I have a Logitech (Dell) XPS M2010 optical mouse similar to yours and it took a while for me to figure out how to get the wheel to "clickpan" when I first installed ACAD 2009 LT. After a bunch of trial and error, I saw a post on this forum that said the wheel has to be set to middle button. For my mouse, there is a tab on the mouse set up dialog called SetPoint. On that tab, when you click button 3, the wheel hilites, and then I had to select Other from a list of functions. It was defaulted to universal scroll. Then from the Other list I had to select Middle Button.

Luckily I do not have to use multiple accounts on my computer, so I know when something gets monkeed out of whack, it was either me or my wife.:P

Great insight, DanaW.

I'd say now I am convinced that this is a Windows issue more than it is an AutoCAD one. My mouse settings do not provide me with the aforementioned "SetPoint" dialog, but I am still able to assign a function to the middle button just the same.

What I'll probably end up doing is either 1) consolidating all the user accounts to have the same button configuration/assignments, or 2) try and isolate a custom profile (as you mentioned) just for my user account.

Thanks again for the tips.

• 5 years later...

Dana-

Thank you, perfect answer.

I went into Setpoint (the Logitech software for my mouse), clicked on the "Zoom" button--> set it to the "Middle Button" function.

Now it both pans and zooms like a charm.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to re-post this, but I've tried all the options mentioned on both these

threads :

1) http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?35626-Middle-mouse-button-won-t-Pan.

2) and this particular thread>

Im using Autocad 2010

What I've Tried (and doesn't work)

Installed Set point.

Enclosed is a jpeg.

1.) Set MBUTTONPAN=1

2.) Changing mouse settings on SET POINT for the wheel (as well as other buttons) to "AutoScroll," "Universal Scroll", "OTHER" and then back to "Middle Button".

NOTE: when you select "other" & get a drop down menu to choose from,

there is NO "Middle Button" to choose from on that list.

3.) Unplugging/re-plugging in the mouse from the USB port

Whats interesting is in the Windows Mouse properties tab, the "connected devices" shows "Microsoft Mouse 1000" when actually Im using a "Logitech M185." When I go to the "Hardware Tab" and select Logitech it highlights it but does not give you to option to click on "Apply". which prob means its not saving the selection.

Using Wifi at home, but no one else logged on.

Mouse Info

Mouse: LogiTech M185 Wireless

Thanks,

Kirk

MOUSE WONT PAN.jpg

It was not working prior to installing the Setpoint software.

So when I did a search for updating drivers, came across it & tried it.

Still no difference.

Have you tried uninstalling the other mouse? If that is indeed the current mouse, that would explain why Your SetPoint settings have no affect.

Could not find an uninstall in the control panel/Programs/Hardware for the microsoft mouse. They are usually just plug & play.

The Logitech is my third mouse. All because of the same problem. The middle pan or scroll button giving problems.

This previous mouse was a Microsoft 1000 combo with a Microsoft wireless Keyboard 800. The pan worked but the zoom/scroll kept slipping.

So initially when I bought the new logitech mouse, kept using the same keyboard & switched of the microsoft mouse,

connected the new logitech mouse and it was working till now.

Thanks, but if I uninstall it then wont the keyboard will stop working cos both the original keyboard and mouse were on one USB. The logitech mouse works separately

with its own USB. Tried unplugging the keyboard USB. Gave it a shot didnt work.

uninstalled the mouse

Microsoft 1000?

re installed the setpoint software, still no difference.

Did you try the mouse before re-installing SetPoint? I've had several Logitech mice and have not needed the software.

Could it be possible that I may have hit the wrong combination of keys. Like CTRL + middle scroll mouse button or Shift + mouse button

that triggered it to switch off. Cos it worked well before .

• 1 year later...

an old thread I know , but I have same problems. Windows 10, ACAD 2017, working Logictech mouse one day with middle pan button. Now doesn't worked.

Tried all the above, MBUTTON=1, installed setpoint, middle button set to middle button, rebooted.

Still the same - anyone got any other ideas! PLEEEASE?