school CAD project

bdr2k5

hello,

Im currently taking a INtro to CAD class at my college. I have a project due two weeks from today! i have a A+ average in this class, so i thought i would do great in this project. I started today, and... i feel so helpless without any kind of dimensions at all!, i need help desperately!

I was hoping for some pointers, tips, tricks from you guys

thanks in advance

Ps: the link below is what im trying to draw

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdr2k5

• Tankman

• Car5858

• MikeScott

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome! and well... here's your first tip..: You can't add links in your first post, ;)

Although folks here will try to help you, it has to be understood that we aren't going to do your work for you, we'll just help you try and understand the process.

The F1 (help) button on AutoCAD is pretty useful for this level of assistance, but maybe we can help point you in the right direction for a few commands to look up, or help you think about the project the way CAD needs you to think about it.

Feel free to describe what it is you're supposed to be doing.

Wow, such a prompt answer!, thanks guys.

As far as commands im pretty familiar with most of them. the problem is that there are not intructions!i want to draw a skatepark! i wish i could post the pic, but i have to have 9 posts!

this is my first time drawing something with no given dimensions, angles, or anything at all!, i dont know what to do!, i guess i have to pick arbitrary dimensions!!

This will be a tuff project to do in isometric.

3D would be much easier and quicker.

Are you shure that you wish to tackle this for your first project?

Yes, i have already commited for this with my professor, i have no choice, and i also have no experience with 3D autocad :(

thanks

I would start with the objects on the ground level. Lay them out as in the plan view. Corresponding to the locations of the map you provided.

You can google some of the parks on the net, sometimes they give the heights of the platforms.

At least it is a place to start. Other than that your best guess should be good. One of the picky points is to use the Osnaps to ensure that your lines are closed.

This will be a tuff project to do in isometric.

3D would be much easier and quicker.

Are you shure that you wish to tackle this for your first project?

I hear that!!! That would be tough in 2D ISO for a veteran. I was going to suggest using the new mesh modeling tools which would be perfect for this kind of job.

Who is teaching 2D iso anymore???!!!

KC

haha, yeah my professors want this as a prereq before engineering graphs and design.. anyways after playing with it for a lil bit i came up with this, u guys think im in the right track?! sorry for the resolution

wtmate.jpg

...i guess i have to pick arbitrary dimensions!!

At least you can spell dimensions. (3 Dimentional? - shouldn't that be dimensional?)

You should have been instructed in 3 dimensional modeling before being given this assignment - otherwise I would term the assignment "educational malpractice".

You might go through the tutorials in my signature.

I would start with an outline roughly the outside shape of the artwork you are given - there are clues to scale of the overall project, a couple of things dimensioned and the stairs. Using the center stairs for scale and having completed the outside perimeter I would then check the square footage of the perimeter and scale to get approximately 20,000 (on something like this all is relative).

If you have access to a park like this you might go out and measure some of the features it has.

JD said it all, "I would term the assignment "educational malpractice.""

And do by all means check Mr. Mathers' tutorials.

Even so, unless you're fast, really fast, I don't think the two weeks given is enough time.

Perhaps chunk up the various entities, pass out homework and then reassemble the skate park, piece by piece. :twisted:

If you want to do it in 2D... here's a suggestion

With the UCS in World, try drawing the main features in Plan (as if you were looking straight down, not isometric). Then go to View > 3D Views > SE Isometric. You can then draw in the existing UCS or use UCS > View and trace the features to be drawing in a normal plane.

If you want to do it in 2D... here's a suggestion

I would find it far harder to do in 2D than in 3D. Might as well hand sketch out with pencil on paper.