Converting a plan to 3D???

paddy1985

Hello guys,

I am relatively new to Autocad and i draw plans for a modular building company in 2D. The company now wants 3D visualisations of each of their buildings. I'm currently using Autocad 2010 and i want to know how to convert my 2d house plan into a 3d model?

Can someone please take me through each step in a clear and concise manner.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Paddy,

The best and quickest way to produce a 3d drawing of the walls is to convert all your wall lines to polylines using the mpedit & join commands then using extrude to give you a height to the walls.

Or in 2010 you can use the presspull command.

This will get you started off.

Can you upload a pdf file of the plan and side elevation to give us an idea of the roof line etc. then we can give you some more better directions.

(p.s you need a minimum of 10 posts to upload files)

Unfortunately there is no "magic" button that will automatically transform a 2D plan view of a building into 3D. As mentioned above walls can be given height using Extrude or Press/Pull. Another way to construct a wall is via the Polysolid command. To create openings in solid walls one must either use Press/Pull or create, extrude and then subtract a given shape (ex. - a rectangle for a window or door opening).

You might consider picking up a good after-market 3D AutoCAD book such as AutoCAD 2009 and AutoCAD LT 2009 - No Experience Required by Jon McFarland. The book takes the reader through a series of exercises to construct a 3D cabin with step-by-step instructions. The author's own drawing files are available online for download.

To work efficiently in a 3D environment it also helps to know how to manipulate the UCS.

OK...knock it off. Bumping your post count this way is frowned upon.

lol, I was not trying to invoke this :D

Can't wait for Rod's decision on what to do with this. :D

You might also type in polysolid hit Enter on the keyboard (give it a minute for the command do load) and then hit F1 in the upper left corner of the keyboard.

You can use this with a vector floor plan too. You don't have to start with a raster file to use Plantracer. Just a suggestion

see http://www.csoft.com/products/plantracer/plantracer_4_acad/ We are the distributor in New Zealand of CSoft products.

THis is just one of those really cool products, even for an electrical drafty like me. It won cadence awards when it was fors launched and heaps of praise from within Autodesk.

A 'Must have' for Facilities Management

The integration of existing drawing archives with computer-aided Facilities Management systems requires an efficient technology to convert and capture FM-related data from original building drawings. The need to keep FM data up-to-date through a simple process has motivated the PlanTracer development. PlanTracer focuses on efficiency and usability.

PlanTracer delivers advanced tools for floor plan drawing and editing. Its unique toolset also includes automatic and semi-automatic conversion of input such as 2D CAD drawings or raster floor and building plans into intelligent models. PlanTracer will recognize a floor plan, extract FM data and create Intelligent Objects from vector or raster drawings. These objects will contain all the necessary data for your FM solution.

PlanTracer provides an open programming interface for easy integration with Facilities Management applications, databases and MS Office. A Facilities Management solution can access all objects in a PlanTracer floor plan model.

Whenever I see the word "easy' used to describe a program feature I start to get uneasy.

How about you give us a demo? What if we supply the floor plan and you show us what the program can do?

• 4 weeks later...