Offseting surfaces in AutoCAD 2011

mun_65

Hi everyone:

I am using AutoCAD 2011, and enjoying the new 3D features like the new surfaces. But, I have a problem, one of the options in Offset a surface is Connect. According to the help:

Connects multiple offset surfaces, if the original surfaces are connected.

When I tried this, it didn't work for me, the resultant surface is always connected when the original is connected, and is always not connected when the original connected.

Can anybody help please?

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Hi,

was just wondering how you get to this command/what the command prompt is for surface offset. The one within 'solids editing' is no good to me as it is a surface I am using not a solid. I just need to be able to offset a planar surface (created from one side of a mesh originally) so that there is a consistant distance between the offset surface and the original. Sorry I looked under help/searched etc and couldn't find what I was after.

Thanks,

Tom.

Anyone?

To my mind it seems like this should be a fairly routine thing, but I can't for the life of me find details of it in the help file. Truth be told I'm using 2010, is the surface modelling significantly improved in 2011?

Are you dealing with a mesh surface? Or, 3D Face perhaps?

You may be able to generate more interest and responses if you posted an example drawing of the surface before and after the offset. Depending on the original geometry type, some form of programming may be required.

They were 3D surfaces created from a mesh & using them to slice a solid! Sounds contrived I know, but it was the only method with which I could get the shapes I wanted. Just trying to create the images and I realise that it may not be the offset of the surfaces that was causing my problem, but rather the shape of the original mesh. I'll have a mess about with this first and see if I can get it working. Thanks.