Converting a "region" of planar surfaces to 3D solid

Alex0856

I've got the following shapes going:

blocksxx.png

The pink one on the left is a combination of planar surfaces. The shape on the right is just a basic 3D solid. The the arrow is representing the radii of both edges of the shapes, meaning they are the same.

The shape on the left is made of planars because I can't figure out for a damn how to get that into a solid - So I used the blue shape as a reference to create the pink one, using a ruled surface to get the top rounded piece.

I've Google'd the hell out of this one - now I'm stuck.

I need to make a 3D solid in the exact shape of the combined surfaces.

Help please, and thanks ahead of time.

You might be able to use an extruded pline? or maybe it's a quarter of a cylinder?

I'm kinda' confused though.. How is the 3d shape on the right, different than what you want to end up with? It seems like modifying that should be the way to go.. like using the pink planes to SLICE faucets off the blue one.

... using a ruled surface to get the top rounded piece.

Forget ruled surface - this one looks like a simple lofted solid solution. Attach the dwg here.

I need to make a 3D solid in the exact shape of the combined surface...

I doubt you really want EXACT (looks pretty ugly to me) but in Inventor could be stitched. I think AutoCAD 2011 also has Sculpt tool.

Looks like a simple file (no proprietary info) why haven't you attached it here?

Agree with JDM regarding the use of Loft to construct solid.

Here is an example. The two profiles to the left were created with lines and then each profile was joined using Pedit.

The result of the LOFT command is shown on the right.

LOFT example.jpg

Thanks ReMark, not sure why I didn't think of that.

I doubt you really want EXACT (looks pretty ugly to me) but in Inventor could be stitched. I think AutoCAD 2011 also has Sculpt tool.

Looks like a simple file (no proprietary info) why haven't you attached it here?

Looks ugly to you but it has its purpose. I do want exact, I said that for a reason, what's wrong with that?

Didn't attach it because I wanted text instructions.

Again thanks Mark, problem solved :).

Again thanks Mark, problem solved :).

ReMarks doesn't match yours EXACTLY - planar faces and all. I could have made a solid with the faceted faces, but as I stated I doubted you really really wanted it EXACTLY like your original faceted model.

That is what I had to know before bothering to try to reproduce a solid EXACTLY like your surface model.

I'm sure that JDM meant no offense. Maybe it was his use of the word 'ugly' as opposed to 'unusual '? LOL Take it in stride.

Glad to hear you have solved your problem. Thank you for updating us. Hope the remainder of your drawing goes smoothly.

Note: I intentionally exaggerated my geometry for illustrative purposes. Resemblence to the actual object would have been a mistake on my part! LOL

Maybe it was his use of the word 'ugly' ....

Maybe I should have said something like, "the faceted ruled surface doesn't look aesthetically pleasing"..... ugly was my shorthand. Hmmm, what would that be in text message speak...

"the faceted ruled surface doesn't look aesthetically pleasing"

Personally I like the above phrase better. It raises the level of the discourse around here. After a while I feel as though I've been in a bar instead of an AutoCAD forum.:lol:

Just having some fun with you JDM. :)

Maybe I should have said something like, "the faceted ruled surface doesn't look aesthetically pleasing"..... ugly was my shorthand. Hmmm, what would that be in text message speak...

Well.. my text translator ( http://www.lingo2word.com/translate.php ) turned your sentence into:

d faceted ruled surface duznt l%k aesthetically pleasin

But I think what you're looking for is:

"Dood, that thing look like yer mom!"