How to outline text?

Mason Dixon

A couple months ago I was looking for a way to create text that looks like its engraved/inset. Somebody chimed in and said that a font called Timesout would work and while it looked good it wouldn't quite work for what I needed it for because many of the letters overlapped. Regular Times New Roman doesn't overlap but I can't figure out how to just have it show as an outline and not solid colored. I have tried WMFOUT WMFIN with no success(unless I missed something). I can't have the letters overlap because they will eventually be used in a concrete product and the concrete will break if there is not at least 3/4" of space in between each letter. In addition to the outline, is there a way to make each letter spaced out at least 3/4" from each other?

This is how the Timesout overlapped.

wjbc69.gif

I would increase the letter spacing to 2 or 3, This will cause the letters to be spaced futher apart.

Reducing the text spacing .9 will bring them closer togather.

You may also try to reduce the width of the letters.

You can set up a new text style for this.:roll:

With WMFOUT you may need to go into the Style manager and set the width to something slightly more or less than 1. 1.001 or 0.99, etc.

You can use the Express Tools Txtexp command which is the wmfout/in automated. Then draw a rectangle around the text on another layer, use the bpoly command, lock the original layer and move the outlined text out of the way, ....

You can use Word, word art to create fancy text layouts, copy it, paste special, autocad objects in AutoCAD.

How do I change the text spacing?

Changing width didn't work.

Thanks.

I meant Width Factor, and to be clear this is to make the WMFOUT work properly so when using WMFIN the text will be in outline form.

Using a larger Width Factor, like 1.2 or more might spread the lettering enough to take care of the overlap issue.

Thanks rkent, I haven't even gotten to your outline directions yet, I was actually referring those remark/questions to the posters above about line spacing. I can't figure out how to space the letters wider so they don't overlap.

I used the txtexp command on the letters. Now I'm using the bpoly command (I have to click inside each letter individually right?) and I'm getting invalid hatch boundary on a couple of the letters, how do you usually get around that?

I used the txtexp command on the letters. Now I'm using the bpoly command (I have to click inside each letter individually right?) and I'm getting invalid hatch boundary on a couple of the letters, how do you usually get around that?

You only pick inside closed letters like 'O' and 'e'. I haven't had any problem with that in the past, maybe the font you are using. Which font are you using?

You only pick inside closed letters like 'O' and 'e'. I haven't had any problem with that in the past, maybe the font you are using. Which font are you using?

I just tried with Timesout font and it looks like you can completely skip the bpoly step on that font as it doesn't leave the extra lines some fonts do leave.

As for the W and Y you will just have to move them over once they are individual letter outlines.

New Times Roman. I was able to create a boundary in each letter, I had to regenall like crazy. But here is what I have now, is there a way to remove the exploding lines inside each letter?

dx1h1w.gif

New Times Roman. I was able to create a boundary in each letter, I had to regenall like crazy. But here is what I have now, is there a way to remove the exploding lines inside each letter?

That is what the bpoly does for you. Draw a rectangle around all the letters, change layers, use bpoly, now lock the original layer, move the bpoly created letters, unlock the original layer and erase.

I am having this same problem. I am getting lost in locking the first layer. Maybe it is because I do not know how to lock it. I am a newbie to all this so bare with me.

I am having this same problem. I am getting lost in locking the first layer. Maybe it is because I do not know how to lock it. I am a newbie to all this so bare with me.

You can lock a layer by going into the layer manager, find the layer name, pick on the padlock symbol.

That is what the bpoly does for you. Draw a rectangle around all the letters, change layers, use bpoly, now lock the original layer, move the bpoly created letters, unlock the original layer and erase.

For the life of me I can't get this to work. Everytime I lock the layer I can't move anything after that. Would you mind writing a more detailed description on how to do this? Thanks.

Create two layers, 1, and 2. With 1 set current you type in the text and then use the txtexp command on it. Now set layer 2 current, draw the rectangle around the text, use the bpoly command. Now lock layer 2. Erase, window around the letters, now the original stuff on layer 1 is erased. Now unlock layer 2. (You can use move instead of erase, same same.)

Let me know if you still get stuck.

Ta Da! That's a neat little trick! Thanks!

Now, how can I space the individual letters out. When I use the express tools it just stretches the letters but keeps the same distance between.

Now, how can I space the individual letters out. When I use the express tools it just stretches the letters but keeps the same distance between.

The font definition determines the spacing, not anything you can do about it. If you have to have that font then you will have to move them apart after the exploding and before the bpoly work.