Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

There is nothing wrong with the standard routine as long as someone is 100% sure all dwg files have been backed up to the server before they willy-nilly start changing file names and then deleting files. I think the damage in this case has been self-inflicted. Will they learn anything from this painful and costly lesson remains to be seen.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    dbroada's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Intel Xeon E5-1603@2,80GHz
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    dbroada's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Engineer
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Using
    Electrical 2013

the thing is, the .bak file is only the current drawing prior to the last save. In your case it would have been a massive help but those cases are very rare. People on here keep asking how to revert to yesterday's revision. If you opened the file today, QSAVEd after 30 minutes, did a bit more work then saved on exit yesterday's revision has now gone forever - unless you did a daily backup.

I fail to understand how companies can neglect this step. Servers crash, files get deleted. All yesterday's work was done to a wrong markup. Being able to recover an old file must surley make good buisness sense!
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

In most cases a bak file from yesterday or last week or last month is of little to no concern to CAD users unless they worked on the file today without saving even once. Then they'll sell their souls to get any backup file they can possibly get their hands on just to avoid starting from zero.

I delete all my bak files on a weekly basis if I'm busy or every other week if things are slow. But before I do I back up the drawing file itself to at least two distinctly separate locations.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD pre 2000

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    I delete all my bak files on a weekly basis if I'm busy or every other week if things are slow. But before I do I back up the drawing file itself to at least two distinctly separate locations.

I do not know exact time of day that Boy does the erasures, but he does it once per day (as it saves a good 30% on hard disk file sizes) and I think it is near to 4-5 PM.

As I do not sit in front of an active computer monitor each day, I usually leave the works to him then. That is one part of his job. There may be written explainations left at my desk, for he usually erases all the same files from every computer at a desk, and then is lastly supposed to erase the same stuff off the main server. Using whatever routine he has set up. Every day, and to save disk space.

Wm.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Are the files that large/plentiful that you're starving for disk space on your server?

Hard disk space is cheap, cheap, cheap. Even a 500 or 750GB hard drive is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of reproducing the CAD drawing you lost from scratch.

Using
    AutoCAD pre 2000

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    Are the files that large/plentiful that you're starving for disk space on your server?

Hard disk space is cheap, cheap, cheap. Even a 500 or 750GB hard drive is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of reproducing the CAD drawing you lost from scratch.

All of the files will easily fit on to the hard drive. Was getting the little warning last week that of no addidtional space. Run Defrag, and same filesa re now less than 50% of the whole. Thick we got a bug.

Problem is you are talking of "someone else's" money. I think the firm is having a hard time keeping door open. In telephone conversation this morning, my topic may be dropped at staff meeeting, as the firm is thinking of "Down-sizing" and moving to another area. Leaving a few behind too. As noticed the secretary got invited, which seems odd. Wasn't too good of report via congress this AM over the radio this morning. But we do get to spend more money though. My unemplyment cheque will grow from about $126 per week to double that and benefits will last longer too.

Wm.