AutoCAD 2011 Has a Grid

Bill Tillman

I just installed AutoCAD 2011 x64 and there seems to be some kind of grid ghosted in the model space. This is kind of neat but it also appears in the paper space which is not so neat and clutters up the image. I notice that it does not print which is cool too but I'd like to either turn this off or change the shade of it so it's really faint and doesn't muddy up the view of the layout tabs.

So far I think I'm really digging 2011. Can't wait to get into the 3D stuff with it.

I think you can turn it on/off by typing Grid.

I received the email that Civil 3D 2011 is out. I'm excited to give it a test run. Probably load it next week.

Yes, the new grid has replaced the old dots. Just hit F7 to toggle it on and off.

F7, I knew it was one of the Function keys, I just couldn't remember which one.:wacko:

F7, I knew it was one of the Function keys, I just couldn't remember which one.:wacko:

That's because the majority of us turn it off and never use it again. :D

Happy Days

Thanks for the replies. I was able to toggle the grid off with F7 but the problem in the layout tabs is still there. It looks like they've created a quadrille pad effect which doesn't respond to F7 or the GRID command. Looks neat and if I could make the lines a very faint blue color it might not be so bad, but the way it appears now makes it hard to see what's important in the viewport. The grid doesn't print but I'd like to be able to control it or disable it when needed.

That's because the majority of us turn it off and never use it again. :D

Happy Days

That's why I just have (setvar 'gridmode 0) in my startup file.

Thanks Reikaj.

I guess the programmers had nothing better to do so they introduced the grid paper background. I understand in the next release they are going to add a clipboard.

• 4 weeks later...

enter model space in layout tab then you will see grid option as active. Simply toggle the grid to off and switch your layout tab back to paper space.

no more grid :)

Thanks for the replies. I was able to toggle the grid off with F7 but the problem in the layout tabs is still there. It looks like they've created a quadrille pad effect which doesn't respond to F7 or the GRID command. Looks neat and if I could make the lines a very faint blue color it might not be so bad, but the way it appears now makes it hard to see what's important in the viewport. The grid doesn't print but I'd like to be able to control it or disable it when needed.

is your avatar of jack n. from the shinning? or am i crazy? :glare:

AFitchguy07, yes, I have always been a Jack N. fan. I kind of like the way it looks like the wildman is looking over at my posts.... Hard to believe that The Shining was released 30 years ago in 1980. What version of AutoCAD was out then. I don't remember seeing AutoCAD until sometime in 1983 but there were CAD systems I saw as early as 1976.

Wendy, I'm home!

AFitchguy07, yes, I have always been a Jack N. fan. I kind of like the way it looks like the wildman is looking over at my posts.... Hard to believe that The Shining was released 30 years ago in 1980. What version of AutoCAD was out then. I don't remember seeing AutoCAD until sometime in 1983 but there were CAD systems I saw as early as 1976.

Wendy, I'm home!

haha i wasn't even thought of until almost a decade after the original shinning was released.

i remember when the remake came out in the 90's and i saw it i was so scared of bushes for the longest time. it was awful :oops: