3d model to 2d surface

Zoobz

hey guys,

1st of all, awesome site:D.

i was just wondering if you could help me out. i was wondering if there is a way to take the surface area of a 3D model and make it a flat 2D surface to that i may be printed and then reconstructed to make the 3d model. i am currently using autocad 2008.

here is a picture of what i mean...i hope it makes sense

Untitled0000.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zoobz

• ica_cici

• scj

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont exactly want t flatten the 3D view, instead want to disect the surface area and then make it a 2D drawing with the and so i can print it and then re construct the the 3D model from paper...like this

26042010739.jpg

26042010741.jpg

26042010742.jpg

i hope i'm explaining it correctly

haha, yeah thats exactly what i mean....maybe it would have been easier explaining with a square first...:D...

except i need to go from 3D to 2D

Then use solprof command.

Solprof all surface views (top, front, back, left, right, and bottom) then gathered into one piece.

Do you know how to use solprof?

According to Spencer's Basic Technical Drawing the term development refers to "laying out the surface of an object on a plane. In the sheet-metal trade a development is usually refered to as a pattern or a stretchout."

Some programs are better suited to pattern making than others although you can accomplish the task using AutoCAD.

Then use solprof command.

Solprof all surface views (top, front, back, left, right, and bottom) then gathered into one piece.

Do you know how to use solprof?

Solprof, flatten, flatshot or anything like that is not going to develop a surface (flat pattern) of a hemisphere. Drafting 101.

A development file is also known as "unwrapping" a solid which Solidworks does.. or at least it will if you're using it's sheetmetal plug-ins to create the part.

Pepakura.. you definately want pepakura for this, and it's like $12, I beleive.

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

I worked with folks that made entire Halo costumes using this thing. Helmets and body armor.

It'll accept DXFs. Plus it'll give you numbers and stuff to show you how to align pieces, certain bendline linetypes to represent types of folds (up or down), and give you tabs for gluing, etc.

It also can be set for your papersize, allowing you to layout the pieces on the paper (or mulitple pages, as needed). Plus, you can view/rotate the item in 3d as a series of parts, to help guide you with the bending angles and attachments.

One word though.. that sphere you want to do it with doesn't have a series of flats that stay connected. Each of those sections are "dished" meaning they curve in two directions.

With steel, you could hammer out the middle (or use an english wheel) to get those bowl shapes, but with paper, you might be a little surprised at how it get's laid out in the program.

Thanks MikeScott, ill check out that program...i do have solid works but dont really know how to use it that well. Maybe i should give it a go.

How would i go about getting this sheet metal plugin...?

thanks again

Solprof, flatten, flatshot or anything like that is not going to develop a surface (flat pattern) of a hemisphere. Drafting 101.

Yes, you are right. Those are just for geometric models.

Yes, I did this in AutoCAD using the programs from

(watch the videos first)

Good luck

Jochen

would they happen to have an english site? doesnt really matter @ 990€-1950, its a little bit out of reach...im just a student i cant afford that...thanks anyway. :D

I'm not sure where the Solidworks sheet metal plug-ins originated from, but it's not going to work even a third as well as pepakura does anyway, even assuming you could afford the plug-in.

Plus, I think you have to initially form the thing with the sheet metal plug-in before you can unwrap it later. There's also a lot to calculating the bend deductions, etc, that you'd need to enter, in-order to get it to form AND unfold with accuracy. I'm not sure that you'd be able to determine settings for construction paper, and it seemed to like to throw in relief cuts all over the place that wouldn't be appropriate for paper. Plus, it won't give you gluing tabs, etc.

Seriously, just do the pepakura, you won't regret it, it's pretty cool. You can even put graphics on the 3d that will print-out on the paper.

I'm not sure where the Solidworks sheet metal plug-ins originated from, but it's not going to work even a third as well as pepakura does anyway, even assuming you could afford the plug-in.

Plus, I think you have to initially form the thing with the sheet metal plug-in before you can unwrap it later. There's also a lot to calculating the bend deductions, etc, that you'd need to enter, in-order to get it to form AND unfold with accuracy. I'm not sure that you'd be able to determine settings for construction paper, and it seemed to like to throw in relief cuts all over the place that wouldn't be appropriate for paper. Plus, it won't give you gluing tabs, etc.

Seriously, just do the pepakura, you won't regret it, it's pretty cool. You can even put graphics on the 3d that will print-out on the paper.

the paper model i am making will just be a mock up of a finial shell that i ill be making out of aluminium sheet metal...although pepakura is sufficient for my construction paper model i dont think it will be sufficient for my final model