forcing images to stay in background

lauriemck

Hi..i often have an aerial photo that I want to appear under topography lines and everything else. Unfortunately, it often moves forward covering up the layers I need visible. Is there a way to tell a jpg to stay at the very back? Appreciate any help.

Draworder appears to be fairly poorly implemented in AutoCAD. Even once you get it where you want it, random events will cause it to come forward - or backward, whichever one is most disruptive. Occasionally, you wont be able to get an object to move to the back, no matter how carefully you click, but you can get the same effect by selecting everything else and bringing it forward.

BUT, I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong...

Glen

you are so right about the most disruptive thing happening. There is comfort in knowing that it isn't just my inexperience. Let's hope someone has the solution!

A drawing order lock would be nice.

Sometimes I get so sick of it I embed the image into the DWG using Raster design. Seems to work. (Most of the time anyway)

I always save it for last, or set the raster image to "outline only" while I'm working in that area. I've never understood why the image couldn't just become part of the background and stay there.

It's frustrating though.. and should be like common sense programming by AutoDesk.. I didn't import an image to hide my work.

In my experience I have noticed that once I send an image to the back if I do a regen the image returns to where it to the background. If you happen to have Map 3D you can bring images in using the task pane and then choose your drawing order by how you organize the layers in the task pane.

Edit:

I should add if you use the task pane in Map 3D your file needs to have a coordinate system projection applied to it and your image needs to be georeferenced. This is normally for aerial imagary, quad maps, etc. Any other discipline outside of civil probably won't have any use for this method.

It's not just images, blocks do it too. I often have to draw equipment rack layouts. So I have a rack block which gets a plate screwed to it, then DIN rail, then relays and other parts clip to the DIN rail. If those relays move behind the DIN rail or the plate, they may as well not be on the drawing. They may be in the parts list and get ordered, but the guy building the racks can't see them.

I have not figured out what causes them to jump order, so every time I print the drawing I need to double check that things are in the right order.

It's a pain in the neck.

Glen

• 2 weeks later...
A drawing order lock would be nice.

Sometimes I get so sick of it I embed the image into the DWG using Raster design. Seems to work. (Most of the time anyway)

'using Raster design'?how to do this?and how to lock the drawing order?