Plotting Plumbing drawings from Revit MEP...?

erratic

So what is everyone's solution to plumbing drawings out of Revit?

Apparently whomever was in charge of making Revit "intelligent" enough to break duct runs that are "over/under" one another was not put in charge of doing this for the plumbing side of things... ???

What have been the best solutions for this? and in addition are there any examples I could possibly see to get an idea of what the quality expectations are?

Thanks in advance...

:unsure:

Well the good news is Autodesk is making plumbing the focus in Revit 2012. The bad news, however, is we're stuck with a thrown-together implementation for another year.

We've found that there are just not enough plumbing systems in Revit. Because of this, you can't assign specific pipe types to Vent, Storm Sewer, etc. The elbows and connectors typically have problems connecting also.

Things to take note that may help:

-Avoid trying to system up your plumbing fixtures/piping. (Until this is fixed and works better, just avoid it at all costs. You'll spend more time trying to get it to work then it's worth messing with)

-Run your horizontal pipe in plan view and your vertical pipe in your 3D riser.

-Make sure you set your view style to "hidden line" when printing otherwise all of your pipe will blend together.

-You can use "key schedules" to fake connection/fixture data until you have a better understanding of how to get FU's and GPM to flow through the piping (which still works when it wants to it seems).

-Use filters based off worksets (as opposed to systems, since there just aren't enough plumbing systems in revit) so you can more easily visualize what is going on. You can also use filters to make certain lines have different line styles and weights.

-If you need to slope your pipe, do it early on in the mains. The branches and individual fixtures will automatically slope as necessary to connect to the main. If you try and slope after all the fixtures/piping is placed, you'll have nothing but problems.

We have been able to get our drawings to look very similiar to CAD. If I think of anything else, I'll try and add it to the post.

Hey!

Thanks for the reply... sounds like Revit 2012 will be "the one" - hopefully... and you're right about not enough systems... seriously - no vent system???

Anyway your tip about using the worksets was great - I've already set up our venting to "actually" be a different linetype than my waste! kick ass!!!

All in all - the rest of your comments are dead on, as I have already found myself working in just the manners you have suggested - but I haven't gotten to plotting yet, so I'll keep in mind your comment on the view style to "hidden line" - hopefully things come out OK... thanks again for the feedback... I may hit you up later on if that's not a problem.

Take it easy!

8)

Well the good news is Autodesk is making plumbing the focus in Revit 2012. The bad news, however, is we're stuck with a thrown-together implementation for another year.

We've found that there are just not enough plumbing systems in Revit. Because of this, you can't assign specific pipe types to Vent, Storm Sewer, etc. The elbows and connectors typically have problems connecting also.

Things to take note that may help:

-Avoid trying to system up your plumbing fixtures/piping. (Until this is fixed and works better, just avoid it at all costs. You'll spend more time trying to get it to work then it's worth messing with)

-Run your horizontal pipe in plan view and your vertical pipe in your 3D riser.

-Make sure you set your view style to "hidden line" when printing otherwise all of your pipe will blend together.

-You can use "key schedules" to fake connection/fixture data until you have a better understanding of how to get FU's and GPM to flow through the piping (which still works when it wants to it seems).

-Use filters based off worksets (as opposed to systems, since there just aren't enough plumbing systems in revit) so you can more easily visualize what is going on. You can also use filters to make certain lines have different line styles and weights.

-If you need to slope your pipe, do it early on in the mains. The branches and individual fixtures will automatically slope as necessary to connect to the main. If you try and slope after all the fixtures/piping is placed, you'll have nothing but problems.

We have been able to get our drawings to look very similiar to CAD. If I think of anything else, I'll try and add it to the post.