Plat Map Project

autocad2010

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I have some questions as I finish my project using autocad2006.

I'm doing a plat project of lots and roads. It asks that I show centerlines on all roads and streets, what does that mean? do I have to use the LTSCALE ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Car5858

• autocad2010

• jdneal88

• ScribbleJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It said:

Drafting the Plat Map:

Make a north arrow on the map, show center lines on all roads and streets. I think it means center line marker.

Then it says: Label all property line bearings, and property line lengths, and all right of way widths.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Basically, you just OFFSET the edge of the road to it's center, and give it a new layer/linetype. That's only going to work if the width of the road doesn't vary, otherwise you'll just need to draw a line wherever the center is.

Of course, I don't know how the streets were initially drawn, and so an offset might not work in your case, regardless.

LTSCALE will ensure that the dashes and suchlike, in the linetype, show up at an appropriate scale.

I'd look around for examples to determine what linetypes to use for each thing they're asking you to draw.

Don't forget the crosswalks and stop lines:lol:.

If you have the data points, draw the center line first, then you can just offset the edge of pavement, curb, sidewalk, whatever you need from the center. Then I'd move the different line types to their own layer with the lines and colors already set there.

It is standard practice to show the physical center of a road on a survey drawing by drawing a Center Line down the middle of it for its entire length. This is the line that is first laid in by the surveyor and everything else measures from it. There are particular line types used in all disciplines of drafting to indicate certain things, and the Center Line is one of the most universal. It looks the same on any mechanical drawing.

EDIT: I am not sure 2006 has all the following options. I shoulda checked your version before jumping in here, hope some of it helps. You're using 2006? Are you self teaching at work?

Check your Line Type Control dropdown to see if the Center Line type is there. If not, you will have to load it in from the design center. Click on Other at the bottom of the list, then click Load. Find it on the list and click OK until you have it captured. You can then select the Center Line as your line type. I would create a separate layer just for your center lines. You will need some arcs with the same line type as well. You will probably have to play with ltscale to get it so you can see the breaks in the lines. You will have a short line between two breaks every so often.

I probably should not have given all the details, but you have your hands full with a survey drawing anyway.:wink: Good luck.

EDIT: I was assuming you are a student.

Yes, I'm a distant student doing the auto cad at Penn drawing the oleson village plat map.

You are right, I did make a centerline layer that's already dashed. But the question is how do I make it in the middle of the road? and how to make it turn around the arcs?

Typically on plat maps the centerline of a road is the center of the right-of-way. The road usually centers on this same centerline but that is not always the case. In the case of interstate highways, state highways, etc. the centerline of the road can be quite different than the right-of-way centerline. Also centerlines only have arcs in them if the road has a curve. If they intersect with another road then the centerline terminates at the centerline of the road it intersects with.

Roadway delineations (ie. painted markings) are not always the center of the road either. Although typically they are.

I have 2 arcs, a road that bends, and a road that intersects with another road with a fillet. So how do I make the centerline for it?

I have 2 arcs, a road that bends, and a road that intersects with another road with a fillet. So how do I make the centerline for it?

For the road that bends the radius of the curve is based on the traffic speed for the road. But since this doesn't matter here (I assume) then using the fillet command with a radius will work. For the one that intersects with another road, just end the line of the intersecting road at the centerline of the road it intersects. (ie. just like a T.) Roads that intersect do not have any curves in them. The right-of-way lines that are around them might have arcs at the corners of the lots though.

How do I label property line bearings, and property line lengths, and all right of way widths.

You will have to label them manually unless you have Civil 3D or Land Desktop. There maybe a lisp routine lurking on this forum to help automate the labeling.

This definitely helped!! Thank you my friend.

So those small arcs I can make them, and then I would just put the total length of each side on those lots? Or should I use lisp?

Also I noticed you placed S3w, do I need to post those as well?

If you use a lisp you will have to redraw the plat map, and the max score you will get is a 75%.

I think you haven't read the instructions through. The instructions are out of sequence with the information as givin and the draw order.(This is how your tested to see if you read the instructions)

Work the instructions line by line. It will tell you were to put everything.

Just make sure your bench Mark and POB are correct. DO NOT change the drawing limits or you will loose points. (I have first hand experiance there.):?

I forgot to mention that the small arcs you are refering to are referanced in the drawing samples in the referance material.

I'm trying to resize the trees, but I noticed that when I use the scale w, I scale (resize) the lines as well. I do have a tree block, when I insert it, only one tree shows, but in the plat, I can see all the trees there. Did I do the block wrong?