Autocad 2011 Viewport Scale problem

roina

Hi all,

I just had a look through the other threads related to my problem. Unfortunately i cannot find anything helpfull... :(

I have just installed Autocad Architectural 2011 (64Bit) on my computer, since my laptop was struggeling with running autocad 2009.:glare:

I have opened a 3d model of my building (created in the 2009V) in Cad 2011, played around a little bit and am now at the point of having to create some viewports to plot elevations etc. But now i am stuck, i have created a viewport, selected it and can't figure out how to set the scale. I saw there was a 'button' (that is not working?) on the bottom, saying 'Vieport Scale', i can't click on it to change the scale, so i went to properties. When i select 1/100 Standard Scale, it automatically goes back to Custom Scale and sets it to 0.005. Basically nothing happens! The only way it changes the scale is when i double click on the viewport and zoom in/out on my building. But that can't be the only way to do it?!

I have got a deadline coming up, and really can't work on my laptop again as it keeps overheating and crashing on me!:cry:

Can anyone advise me on how to set the scale of my viewport and actually get it to do it? Am i missing something?

Many thanks in advance!

Roina

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• roina

• mdwebneck

• MikeScott

Is it possible the viewport display has been locked? That might explain why the button for viewport scale is inoperable.

Nope the viewport isn't locked...:( Hence why i am confused, didn't think it would be that hard to set the scale (or confusing).

Have you tried setting the zoom scale factor within the viewport itself?

I have tried all sorts of things, so i might have.

Could you clarify what exactly you mean and how to do so? Really appreciate your help! :lol:

You would use the XP option of the Zoom command.

Double-click inside the viewport. Invoke the Zoom command. Type "S" for Scale. You want to set the nXP scale factor.

Another option would be to use the Viewports toolbar but if the Viewport Scale button at the bottom of your screen isn't functional then chances are going through the Viewports toolbar may not work either.

It might help us to know if you are working in meters, millimeters or some other scale.

You would use the XP option of the Zoom command.

Double-click inside the viewport. Invoke the Zoom command. Type "S" for Scale. You want to set the nXP scale factor.

Another option would be to use the Viewports toolbar but if the Viewport Scale button at the bottom of your screen isn't functional then chances are going through the Viewports toolbar may not work either.

It might help us to know if you are working in meters, millimeters or some other scale.

Amazingly, that isn't working either. Might be a small bug somewhere... :huh:

However, i think i found a slight detour... (Or i might be a complete noob and i should have done it that way all along:glare:): Selecting my viewport, i then go into properties, go to Misc (at the bottom) set the 'On' to NO , then i select the correct scale for the viewport (standard 1/50 whatever), switch the 'On' back to YES, and it works... how odd!

there must be some sort of setting somewhere that stops it from refreshing the data when different scales are selected and the Misc is on... Or maybe i am getting it completely wrong...:unsure:

Feel like a bit of a noob, it's very different from what i am used to using:S i am sure i will get the hang of it eventually!

Thanks for the help! Do you by any chance know why it is doing what it's doing? (or rather why it isn't doing what it is supposed to be doing?)

Kind regards,

Roina

Sorry but I cannot think of a reason why the program is responding in such a manner. Did you run into any difficulties when installing it?

I'd suggest running the Repair option but you might want to hold off until you have had the chance to check out another similar type of drawing (one using layouts and viewports).

Unless I miss my guess..

"ON" I beleive, referred to locking the viewport. I can't think of what else might hold the options "On", or "No".

That would mean you unlocked it, changed the setting, and then relocked it.

When you get a chance.. just change it to "no" and see if that viewport scale button starts working for you.

Ok, then that eliminates that possibility, so what else might say "on" or "no" and affect the layer scaling?

Determines whether the viewport is off or on.

Properties shows ON for catagory, and yes or no for toggle.

But to affect scaling the viewport should be on, so Yes would be showing. The OP may have overlapping viewports, or a pline over a viewport, or the viewport really is locked, etc, etc. Only way to know for sure is to see the drawing.

• 1 month later...

Had same issue reviewing AutoCAD's own 2011 3Dtutorials - after much hair pulling turned out that if the viewport was showing object in "perspective" I had the same symptoms you described. If I changed the view to parallel clicked to paper space and then picked the viewport edge I had functioning scale choices.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

If your unit precision is set to a 'higher 'value then it will not accept a more precise lower input

ex if your precision is set to 1/16" and you try to move something 1/32, it will not acknowledge it, same for viewport scales,

Edited by mdwebneck
spell check

mdwebneck: Just what do you mean by the words "...it will not acknowledge it"? It will move it. It just won't report back the correct distance when measured.

was just saying that if he adjusted his unit precision he might find that his scale is already at what he set it to, but the viewport property settings will not acknowledge beyond the precision set for it

If your unit precision is set to a 'higher 'value then it will not accept a more precise lower input

ex if your precision is set to 1/16" and you try to move something 1/32, it will not acknowledge it, same for viewport scales,

I just tried this for the move command and it does work, doesn't matter what unit precision is set. To verify you will have to set units to the smaller setting, but it moves just fine with a smaller value than that set in units.

Not sure how this applies to viewport scales because you can't specify a fractional value for that, and it will accept any equivalent decimal value, like 100/2534XP.

as I answered remark's question, it will move it, but if you use Distance to measure it or dim to dimension it, it will still read the higher value (hence not acknowledging that it was moved)

UNITS only change the precision that's displayed to the user (DIST, MEASUREGEOM, LIST, PROPERTIES etc) .... UNITS does not change the accuracy of AutoCAD, and it does not change the precision of dimensions.