Flashing Hourglass of DOOM! Flashing through autosave & window switch

NancyNobody

So when ever I switch between drawing windows using ctrl+tab, and when ever CAD auto saves my cursor turns into the windows hour glass and flashes really quickly for about 6-10 seconds. I can stop this from happening if I move my cursor out of the window (even just up into the menu bar, top and bottom).

Has anyone ever had this happen?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• NancyNobody

• MikeScott

When did the problem first occur?

Is your version of AutoCAD up-to-date with service packs?

What OS are you using?

What are your system specs?

Are you experiencing any problems with other Windows based programs?

It's giving the "working in background" cursor while it's working in the background.

The quick blinking flicker is a videocard and/or RAM issue, especially since it's happening in the drawing area.

So, this is a work computer, and specs are thus:

• Intel Core 2 duo 1.86ghz
  • 2gb ram
  • AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008
  • On board vid card

I wasn't using the most updated version, but I did update and I'm still experiencing problems.

Maybe you have Windows indexing enabled?

No window indexing enabled. I think that's one of the first things that gets disabled when I get a new machine.

I don't use windows explorer either - I use total commander. . .

There is no video card per se. There is an onboard graphics chip. I suspect it might be a driver related issue with the card or the mouse perhaps. Need more info though to narrow it down.

Okay, so no other programs have this problem. I run CS2 and have never had any issues with it.

I tried to update the graphics driver, but my computer couldn't meet the minimum requirements for installing it. Might try looking into the mouse driver. . .

What other info do you require ReMark?

One would think that if it were mouse or graphics related you would experience problems in other programs as well so the question remains why is AutoCAD acting up?

Are you working off a network by any chance?

One would think that if it were mouse or graphics related you would experience problems in other programs as well so the question remains why is AutoCAD acting up?

Are you working off a network by any chance?

I know right - why does AutoCAD have to be such a 'tard!!!

I am working off a network, and the flashing hourglass of doom seems to be an isolated problem on just my machine. I have the info centre disabled (due to other network lag issues). . . And no one else seems to know what to do about it. IT are going to just look into getting me a video card, but that mightn't do anything at all. .. . .

What OS are you using?

You might consider running the REPAIR option. I hesitate to recommend an uninstall and a reinstall. This should always be a "last resort" option.

Have you tried working with a file directly off your hard drive?

Good point.. if there's network slow-downs/interruptions it'll have a negative effect on CAD if it's using a remote location to save it's "in-progress" temporary files, and finds itself unable to do so.

Nicely played ReMark!

O/S is XP Pro SP3.

I have tried a re-install in the past = fail. I have tried working off the network and with files on my h/d = fail. I have tried switching off all ACAD's graphic options = fail. I also have my autoback save location on my C:\ = fail.

I have not tried this 'repair' command though - what is it?

If a reinstall did not solve the problem using the Repair option seems pointless.

Did you ever go into the Windows Control Panel, click on Mouse and reset your mouse pointers for Busy or Working in the Background?

Any chance you can get your hands on a graphics card?

Can you tell I'm running out of ideas?

Is this 20 questions? LOL

So I tried changing the busy and working in background pointers, and I still had the flashing "busy pointer" of doom.

I think I have also exhausted most avenues. Time to tinker with the hardware me thinks. I'm going to get IT to russle me up a graphics card. . . .

You might try disabling your anti-virus software (if you can) and testing the system again.

This happens with any drawing(s) right?

To answer your previous question regarding the Repair option.

The Repair option replaces all Registry entries and restores AutoCAD to its default state. If you were missing some AutoCAD files this is the option to use.