Double Dutch ? Fold

Ubatoid

I am having a a little trouble drawing up some sheetmetal items in SW 2010. Basicly what I'm after is a 1mm sheet with a 30mm dutch fold (over and flat, hem) all round and then the 30mm edge is then folded again with a 9mm flange and then again at 18mm to produce a tray. What i cant seem to do if create a fold after Ive have created the hem edge. Anyone got any tips or ideas ?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• JD Mather

• Ubatoid

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a quick sketch of what I am trying to achieve...

Bend.jpg

I have tried starting with a base flange and then adding a HEM, and then adding a sketch bend, but this does not fold up both thickneses. Also tried starting with a base flange, adding a edge flange then another edge flange and then a hem but to no avail...

This will form a four sided tray with the corners notched to accept a square leg. What I have drawn was a simple extrude from a sketch, not a sheetmetal part. I need to be able to get the blank size by unfolding the sheetmetal.

you can convert it to sheet metal.

in sheet metal after you have drawn your base, try using the miter command. Select the edge you want and it will start a sketch based on that edge and its end point. Draw what you have there.

Sorry i dont have SW in front of me so i cant draw an example for you.

for miter you only have to draw a single line path i believe. That sketch would produce problems since the inside and outside radii are not concentric as well. Let me try to remote desktop my work computer and see if i can get something to work.

alright i was able to get my remote desktop to work and get on my work comp but it was terribly slow so i just did this quick example. You can see the sketch lines(no bends/fillets) which shows the outside edge of the miter flange. So all you need to do is draw straight lines where you want the outside edge. The bend radius and all the other settings will be taken care of by your sheet metal defaults or in the miter flange properties.

miterflange.jpg

dutch fold (over and flat, hem) all round

Is something like this what you are after (half split away).

Double Dutch.jpg

Hey Shift, what would be the most efficient technique of reproducing attached in SolidWorks? (pull down the EOP)

I would still use a miter flange. You can select all 4 edges at once and it will make that part. Its the same as a contour flange in inventor. I am curious though, is there a reason you split the solid instead of using Section on the Inspect tab?

Thats the badger. I had a play with the mitre flange technique but was unable to get the clearance between the flanges small enough. What JD has drawn looks interesting though. How did you produce it, I cant open the attached IPT file, my Solidworks says I have the wrong inventor type.

Here is a STEP file of my solution. Only took about 5 minutes in Inventor. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it in SolidWorks without a lot of work.

Double Dutch.zip

Thats the badger. I had a play with the mitre flange technique but was unable to get the clearance between the flanges small enough. What JD has drawn looks interesting though. How did you produce it, I cant open the attached IPT file, my Solidworks says I have the wrong inventor type.

It works just fine for me. I set my gap down to .01" with no issue. What gap are you trying to achieve? You can use the closed corners to tighten up the edges if needed. I uploaded the one i just made. drag the end of part line down after you unzip the file.

dutchfold.jpg

dutchfold2.jpg

dutchfold.zip

Thanks for that Mat. I shall have a proper look again at my effort, and see where I am going wrong. Last time I worked in inches, I was working in a shipyard that is now a development of exclusive flats?:?

Thanks also JD, Ive only been using SW for 4 years now, so I guess I have a long way to go yet.:oops: