designing a piston head

andyx181x

Hey there folks, I'm a manufacturing engineer senior working a senior project that involves making a casted aluminum piston head. I've only had experience using solidworks but its been two years since I've done the class and I could really use the help is someone would take the time to go step by step in making it.

Are you going to be using solidworks or AutoCAD. Either way I would probably start with a profile to revolve...

KC

Are you going to be using solidworks or AutoCAD. Either way I would probably start with a profile to revolve...

KC

Most likely solid works since thats the one I have the most experience with, what I am worried about trying is the inside of the piston head; where the pin that holds the head and rod together

Most likely solid works since thats the one I have the most experience with, what I am worried about trying is the inside of the piston head; where the pin that holds the head and rod together

Should be quick work with Solidworks. I am an Inventor person myself, however, it's basically the same.

I drew this up in a couple of mins. crude but you can get an idea.

piston.png

I revolved it but it's probably easier if you just made a solid cylinder, shelled it then added the bosses for the pin holes and then revolve cut for the ring slots.

KC

Hey andy, do you have any sketches of the piston? Is there anything special about it? 4 stroke or 2 stroke?. In the ring groove for the bottom ring(oil scraper ring, looks like a wave) there will be oil passages. These oil passages also go to the wrist pin. Here is a good cutaway I found.

piston.jpg

You definitely need to start with a revolve operation. The images I uploaded were of a two stroke piston but the major difference is going to be the oil control ring and oil passages. If you put up some more info we can get you going in the right direction. Even better if you have a piston you are trying to replicate. I think i have a few 4 stroke pistons laying around if you need some pictures.

Not sure how accurate you are getting but keep in mind that even though a piston is machine finished, most of the factory style pistons are cast so everything is drafted.

piston.jpg

piston2.jpg

Hey andy, do you have any sketches of the piston? Is there anything special about it? 4 stroke or 2 stroke?. In the ring groove for the bottom ring(oil scraper ring, looks like a wave) there will be oil passages. These oil passages also go to the wrist pin. Here is a good cutaway I found.

piston.jpg

You definitely need to start with a revolve operation. The images I uploaded were of a two stroke piston but the major difference is going to be the oil control ring and oil passages. If you put up some more info we can get you going in the right direction. Even better if you have a piston you are trying to replicate. I think i have a few 4 stroke pistons laying around if you need some pictures.

Not sure how accurate you are getting but keep in mind that even though a piston is machine finished, most of the factory style pistons are cast so everything is drafted.

Your a genius! To be honest with you thought I don't believe I got the time to remember the basics to draw something up this awesome, to give you more detail here are some pics I found and the dimensions of the piston head. Its an LS1 piston head for GM's 5.7L V8.

"Part# 89017479

Piston. Hypereutectic design for LS2 & LQ9. 4.00 Bore, oversize .020, 6.098"" length, floating pin. 10.9 comp ratio with 65cc head. Sold individually.

Bore (in) 4.020 in.

Piston Style Flat top, with two valve reliefs

Piston Material Hypereutectic aluminum

Wrist Pin Style Floating

Pin Diameter (in) 0.927 in.

Piston Ring Thickness 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 2.5mm

Quantity Sold individually.

mahle.jpg

93422884.jpg

Here are a few pictures to get you started on the right path.

1. profile for the revolve.

2. sketch for cutout area for piston pin. After it was cut, the feature was mirrored to the other side.

3. piston pin hole.

4. cross section showing that i only cut the hole part way into the body and mirrored it to the other side. This is because of the shell operation. You cont need to use shell, you could revolve the inside and outside of the piston, then add material for the piston pin. It really depends on what the underside of the piston looks like.

5. This is a sketch for the valve relief cut. The picture is out of order, i didnt cut the valve relief until after the shell operation. This was a revolve-cut.

6. selection for the shell operation. Blue are faces to remove. Pink are multithickness. I had a .25" shell and the pink faces got more material.

7. view showing the shell.

8. view showing the valve relief cut.

planning out the underside without a piston is tough.

Piston.jpg

Piston2.jpg

Piston3.jpg

Piston4.jpg

Piston5.jpg

Piston6.jpg

Piston7.jpg

Piston8.jpg

Here are a few pictures to get you started on the right path.

1. profile for the revolve.

2. sketch for cutout area for piston pin. After it was cut, the feature was mirrored to the other side.

3. piston pin hole.

4. cross section showing that i only cut the hole part way into the body and mirrored it to the other side. This is because of the shell operation. You cont need to use shell, you could revolve the inside and outside of the piston, then add material for the piston pin. It really depends on what the underside of the piston looks like.

5. This is a sketch for the valve relief cut. The picture is out of order, i didnt cut the valve relief until after the shell operation. This was a revolve-cut.

6. selection for the shell operation. Blue are faces to remove. Pink are multithickness. I had a .25" shell and the pink faces got more material.

7. view showing the shell.

8. view showing the valve relief cut.

planning out the underside without a piston is tough.

By any chance I can contact you threw email? I like to ask you some more questions and inquiries.

andyx181x at yahoo