AutoCad vs ProgeCad

Mech Designer

I have not seen anyone talking about other programs, so I hope this is an ok question to ask on this forum.

One of my work colleagues showed me a program a while back. It was called ProgeCad. I have tried it out and it seems to be very similar to AutoCad. It works with .dwg files and everything. Apparently it is based on the IntelliCad format? I have never used IntelliCad, so I don't really understand what this system is.

Has anyone used this program? It looks like lisp files will not work with ProgeCad and to me that is a pretty big draw back.

I am wondering if there is a way to work lisps into a system that does not work with lisps? Is there another format?

I am considering ProgeCad, but not if there is a draw back like this.

Thanks.

Yeah most or some of these CAD clones cannot handle lisp. Some can but they are still limited as to what they can offer while a few do have a few bells and whistles over ACAD. The ones built off of IntelliCAD are not bad programs and can work if you need a cheaper alternative to real ACAD. There is no easy answer for you though. Try it and see if it will work for you, that's really the only way to know for sure.

ProgeCAD 2008 Smart works with lisp. There is a few minor changes you'd have to make in your coding but it works.

ProgeCAD 2008 Smart works with lisp. There is a few minor changes you'd have to make in your coding but it works.

Thanks Paul that is good to know. :wink:

Don't know 'bout ProgeCAD but, I'm stickin' with AutoDesk AutoCAD.

Years ago tried CadKey. If I saved a drawing as a *.dwg file, AutoCAD opening the file made a bit of a mess particularly with fonts. I frequently had to adjust font sizing including dimstyle when the file was opened using AutoDesk's CAD.

My largest clients, trusted ones, demand AutoCAD *.dwg files. *.dwg files that were generated using AutoDesk's program.

Drifted away from CadKey, 1st AutoCAD was 2000, went to 2005, then 2007. However, at clients requests, always save to vs. 2000 *.dwg format.

Seems the CAD industry is going vertical. Someday who knows.

Just a :) story. E.I. duPont once asked me for thirty copies of a number of drawings, thirty more sets of spec's, thirty more users guidelines, and more.

At the bottom of their request, last line, "or, send a CD with all the files." Not lookin' like Kinko's or something, sent the CD FedEX. :roll:

I prefer ACAD myself but I know some people's budgets just can't swing the price and some office managers don't understand the difference.

AutoCad all the way. Anything else is a poor substitute. Although imitation is the greatest form of flattery I would have to say that does not even close close to being the case with knockoffs of AutoCad.

Don't know 'bout ProgeCAD but, I'm stickin' with AutoDesk AutoCAD.

Just a :) story. E.I. duPont once asked me for thirty copies of a number of drawings, thirty more sets of spec's, thirty more users guidelines, and more.

At the bottom of their request, last line, "or, send a CD with all the files." Not lookin' like Kinko's or something, sent the CD FedEX. :roll:

Thats a funny way to request the electronic files. :lol:

Thats a funny way to request the electronic files. :lol:

The request, until the end, was full size drawings too! :shock:

Speaking to their engineers I was told they had many printers, of course they also had mucho moola too!

Up until that point, I had only used the CD burner to make music for myself.

Was easy enough to burn the data CD and mail. Saved a lot of bucks myself avoiding the print shop. :thumbsup:

I have used Intellicad before a few years ago. It was OK but certainly NOT AutoCAD.

They even had a Linux version they were implementing that I did some beta testing on, but it was not a true linux application so I kinda gave up on that. I still wish AutoCAD would come out with a true linux version. Linux is so much better then Windbloz.

KC

I have used Intellicad before a few years ago. It was OK but certainly NOT AutoCAD.

They even had a Linux version they were implementing that I did some beta testing on, but it was not a true linux application so I kinda gave up on that. I still wish AutoCAD would come out with a true linux version. Linux is so much better then Windbloz.

KC

When I first started out in the CAD scene I used UNIX and loved it. Windows wasn't even around then I don't think just DOS. Once they swapped out the UNIX systems to Windows I peeved. I was using Microstation (or Intergraph at that time). UNIX now Linux is certainly more powerful than windows.

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys

I find myself working for a company that wont spend the money on AutoCAD.

Much to my disappointment.

The boss is thinking AutoCAD Lt because he thinks we don't need 3D, however i have tried to show him that although our drawings look 2D they actually come from 3D models.

he said its either ACAD LT or a cheaper package like ProgeCAD.icon8.gif

i have given ProgeCAD a quick look, opened up a few 3D files and it seems ok, i guess the only way to know is to give it a trial for 2 weeks.

Also just wondering, if any of you guys knocking the alternatives have actually used the alternatives?icon5.gif

Who exactly has been knocking the alternatives?

I have suggested many times over that those looking for a cheaper alternative to AutoCAD consider Bricscad (there are different versions with different price structures). Have you checked it out? Bricscad supports lisp too.

What kind of CAD work are you guys doing? If you are doing any thing mechanical I would look at Inventor LT. It is just a bit more than just AutoCAD LT and it includes LT as well as Inventor LT.

AutoCAD LT is $1,200 USD or $360 USD/year and Inventor LT is $1,495 or $450/year.

Now there are some things that Inventor LT can't so that the full package can do.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor-lt-family/overview

If you are doing Building Design then look at the Revit LT package. It also comes with AutoCAD LT as well.

$1,675 or $505/year in USD.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/revit-lt/overview

Good luck.

Who exactly has been knocking the alternatives?

not knocking him, as i almost fell of my chair when the boss said we were not going with Auto Cad

however scribblej wrote

"AutoCad all the way. Anything else is a poor substitute. Although imitation is the greatest form of flattery I would have to say that does not even close close to being the case with knockoffs of AutoCad."

just wondering if he'd actually tried the alternatives or knockoffs.

Well I have tried most of them, ProgeCAD, NanaoCAD, Draftsight, DoubleCAD XT and TurboCAD LTE to name a few. All of them do exactly what they promise. All of them are good free or low cost alternatives to AutoCAD LT. Now having used AutoCAD since 1989 (college) none of them in my opinion are as fast or fluid as pure AutoCAD. To me I am not able to work as fast (fluid) as I am in AutoCAD. To the normal user, this may not be an issue or even noticed. This would be my main criticism of the CAD clones.

I agree with f700es. I used ProgeCad for over a year in my freelance business and I found that I could not work as fast or fluid as I can in Autocad, and that was frustrating. Also, ProgeCad was very unstable and crashed quite often. And when I sent ProgeCad .dwg files to my clients who use Autocad, they had the same problems. Instability and crashing. I won't go into all the nasty details about my bad experience with the program, and the support staff, but let's just say I won't be endorsing their product. I am currently looking to get back into freelancing and I will either be going with BricsCad or possibly stay with Autocad using the "Pay as you Go" option.

Hey Guys ive given the ProgueCAD Trial go now for a week, and there are subtle differences.

as f700es said, it doesn't seem as fluid, and i find it not as crisp to read the toolbar icons.

i found my work was too slow so switched to the trial AutoCAD i also had running.

I am not looking forward to when that trial runs out and the boss gets ProgueCAD.

as a CAD package its not too bad, and for the money its a bargain.

however Something feels different.

I tested Bricscad (version 15.1.05) and I was impressed. Show that to your boss. That is, I believe. as close to AutoCAD as you can get. Works reasonably fast too, works with lisp programms and it has a very good sheet metal section.