Inserting SHX files

sparkyuk

We have a client that sends his cad drawings to us, I am sure he isnt using autocad BTW, and everytime we try and open them its asks for a SHX file, and we do not have it, so it never adds them to the drawing, I have at last got him to send the SHX file with the drawing and when opening his drawing it finds and loads it ok, but I now want to do "As Installed Drawings" but I can not load the SMX file into my drawing, I have tried LOAD and point to where the SHX file is and then shape but it can not find the file name, what am I doing wrong please ?.

I do have an easy way around this and its just to retype the light fitting list, but I would like to figure this one out if I can with your help :oops:

I have no hep for you, just wanted to give a big whoop-whoop to you for managing to get the SHX-file to start with - not an easy task :D

Hmmm...I thought one must use the LOAD command to load the shape file into the drawing and the SHAPE command to place the shapes into the drawing (kind of like using the Insert command). Is that what you have done?

Yes it is when typing load it asks where it is, I tell it then type shape and its asks for the file name I enter " E_02 B Proposed Lighting & Ventation1.Shx" and then this list pops up

Substituting [simplex.shx] for [E_02 B Proposed Lighting & Ventation1.Shx].

Regenerating layout.

Regenerating model.

AutoCAD Express Tools Copyright © 2002-2004 Autodesk, Inc.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.

Command: load

Command: shape

Enter shape name or [?]: ?

Enter shape name(s) to list : *

Available shapes:

File: simplex.shx

No matching shapes found.

Sorry...I misread your post.

Where is the E_02... shape file located? It almost sounds like AutoCAD can't find it (although you say you tell it) and therefore substitues Simplex.shx for it.

E_02 B Proposed Lighting & Ventation1.Shx is in a folder containing all the drawings from the client on my hard drive, its not asking for the full path to the shx file just the file name, im wondering if that is what is going wrong ?

If I PM you with my email address would you share the shx file with me? I could try it for myself. I don't make use of any non-AutoCAD shape files so I've nothing to experiment with.

you need to browse to the folder that the SHX file is in. AutoCAD can't find it so has substituted simplex. As we know, simplex is a font file with no shapes in it so nothing happens.

Yes Remark I will send it to you,

dbroada I did point it to the file, using Load then snape to insert it, It just dont seem to want to open it for some reason ?

looks like I have opened a can of worms with this one lol,

dbroada I did point it to the file, using Load then snape to insert it, It just dont seem to want to open it for some reason ?
sorry, I took your previous
E_02 B Proposed Lighting & Ventation1.Shx is in a folder containing all the drawings from the client on my hard drive, its not asking for the full path to the shx file just the file name, im wondering if that is what is going wrong ?

to mean that you weren't giving AutoCAD the full name.

I'm out of ideas then.

Well this is really weird, I have just done it all over again (after restarting autocad) just like I have done 6 times already, and this time it worked so something in autocad must have locked up, sorry to have been a pain guys thanks for your help

Guess I'm out that free shape file. LOL

Glad to hear you got it worked out. Thanks for updating us.

I think it worked because it somehow sensed Dave was in the house and he wasn't going to be putting up with any nonsense from AutoCAD!

The *.shx and the *.shp files dates from the days of when ink pen plotters were only thing around. They defined text font, a cross-hatching, or a shape file that was often called for. The overall file size is rather small, but is very-very necessary.

Before opening up the new drawing, do a quick search on your computer, for a late model equavalent to what is missing. Note all variations too. Then, add (via Explorer) or transfer the latest version of the missing file type into the ACAD directory folder and Autocad will seach there first and then go one to a few assigned file folders in looking for that particular file type. It does not look into any file folders outside the main one, or into any created after the initial installation of Autocad too.

If if cannot find file such as Romand.shx or Simplex.shx it will automatically substitute in some variation of text font, and from that period on, ACAD will automatically substitute in the font shape, until a later model of the same overall drawing file is inserted. Thus it is DEMANDING of you a font type, and unless you have the correct answers the tempo job will instantly become permanent.

Go to CHANGE, and see the called for font names in your drawing then. I am thinking that the search function for SHX files ended about time of Introduction of 2002. Prior to that it was automatic.

Wm.