Dimensioning in isometric

Wilbri

Back at the beginning of March I entered a topic regarding the drawing isometric piping and received my desired results.

My concern now regards the dimensioning of isometrics.

I have produced a simple single line isometric of a series of frames for pictorial use in a design calculation and need to show dimensions.

Am using Autocad 2007 2D format.

Need to include horizontal "X" and "Y" and Vertical "Z" (for the use of a better plane as I realize that isometric is 2D) dimensions.

Please could you advise me of the correct way to show my dimensions in the right plane?

Many thanks Mike

Very simple solution.

All one has to do is input the desired oblique rotation angle.

Try Chapter 40 and keep in mind, you can download the *.pdf for any of the lessons.

thanks, good share..

I was about to create a thread/question concerning dimensions & text in isometric views.

Welcome to the forums Tristan! Enjoy your visits and do come by often.

I like the video tutorial, often review a specific chapter just to review something. Good stuff for a quick look at something when you need it.

Hope all's well in the Philippines!

Try Chapter 40 and keep in mind, you can download the *.pdf for any of the lessons.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/course/48-568/2DVideosWEB_files/frame.htm

Tankman, good tutorial chapter 40 dim/iso, but I got stuck when I couldn't find a RISO under drop down menu for text style in dimstyle/modify. I'm set to isosnap and I drew a rectangular box.

Uasing 2009LT

Glenn

Tankman

Thank you for your reference.

From the context it would seem that I am unable to set horizontal dimensions in the vertical position.

To simplify my comment may I explain as follows:

I have drawn a set of columns isometrically. Dimensioned aligned, ending up with a configuration that will allow me to adjust my dimension horizontally to read to the right hand side of the vertical lines by using 30 degree oblique angle, but am unable to attain the desired minus 30 degree angle which places the text below the vertical center lines.

Do you have any comments or suggestions?

I'd have to see it to be sure I understand the scenario, but perhaps you can add a leader to the dimension (in the properties window), and then drag the leader text to the desired location?

Or are you able to place the textline there if you press 'F5' to switch the isoplane you're using to position it?

Tankman

Thank you for your reference.

From the context it would seem that I am unable to set horizontal dimensions in the vertical position.

To simplify my comment may I explain as follows:

I have drawn a set of columns isometrically. Dimensioned aligned, ending up with a configuration that will allow me to adjust my dimension horizontally to read to the right hand side of the vertical lines by using 30 degree oblique angle, but am unable to attain the desired minus 30 degree angle which places the text below the vertical center lines.

Do you have any comments or suggestions?

See the attached file. You can insert this into your drawing and then follow the settings to achieve your desired results. The arrows are drawn for Isometric as well.

ISO-DIMensions 2007.dwg

Many thanks Mike

I achieved the correct results

by changing F5 and entering setting the oblique angle at 90 degrees to a dimension that was clearly positioned at at 45 degrees right of vertical???

Thanks rkent

I opened your hyperlink

Displayed : Look in fonts, File name genltshop could not be opened.

I note that it is a Shape File (shx)?

What I looking for here?

It was a left over from some other drawing or template, don't worry about it. Everything you need should be showing.

Welcome to the forums Tristan! Enjoy your visits and do come by often.

I like the video tutorial, often review a specific chapter just to review something. Good stuff for a quick look at something when you need it.

Hope all's well in the Philippines!

Thank you. Yeah I like video tutorial as well, specially the chapter 29 and Chapter 40, very useful. All is well here, in Phil standard.