You know your an old draughtsman when...

Goomba

Anyone remember the Bruning non-ammonia repro machines? Smelled bad and had an oily feel to the prints because of the reactive agent they used. Kinda nasty.
Same here. Those things were the biggest mistake Brunning ever made. A company I worked for in 1972 tried one and sent it back after only three days.

l

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• cadkiwi

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would love a complete copy of an old poem titled A Draftsmans Lament. It went something like this...

a draftsman bent accross his board

Great ideas in his head were stored

and as he rubbed his throbbing bean

he thought how can I make this hard to machine?

I'll put the holes that hold the cap

Way down there where they are hard to tap

and I'll put in a right angle there and watch those planners tear their hair.......

can anyone hlp?

I think this is what you seek..

"The Designer"

The designer bent across his board

With wonderful plans in his noggin stored,

And said as he rubbed his throbbing bean:

"How can I make this tough to machine?

If this part here were only straight

I'm sure the thing would work first rate,

But 'twould be so easy to turn and bore...

It never would make the machinists sore

"I'd better put in a right angle there

(Then watch those babies tear their hair!)

And I'll put the holes that hold the cap

Way down in here where they're hard to tap.

"Now this piece won't work, I'll bet a buck,

For it can't be held in a shoe or chuck;

It can't be drilled and it can't be ground-

In fact, the design is exceedingly sound."

He looked again and cried, "At last!

Success is mine! It can't even be cast!"

• 6 months later...

I knew I was going to like it here. I also started my drafting career as a hand draftsman. On a funny note: I was working on the computer

one day and one of the head architects was telling me (jokingly If that's an actual word.) how he could still survive without cad draftsmen.

I told him that without us he was nothing but a hand job!

I was had a guy tell me that he could "draft" faster than I could "cad". LOLOLOLOLOL

That sounds like something that might only have been said a LONG time ago,

maybe like Jman was talking about when 4MB of RAM was a lot!

Pretty hard to imagine anybody who was sober at the time making such a claim nowadays. :beer:

I would enjoy watching the race though!

Yeah, it was 2005 ;) I would say from AutoCAD r9 and up the race was over, imho.
Somebody seriously said this to you in 2005? Wow, how naive can someone be. I would have taken that bet if I were you.

I took a night class in late 1988 for AutoCAD and the first few nights I was thinking how I could draft faster than this computer stuff. Then we were shown the array command and then the block command and I saw the light right then and there. I knew that I had better learn all I could about this AutoCAD because this was going to be life changing.

Somebody seriously said this to you in 2005? Wow, how naive can someone be. I would have taken that bet if I were you.

No small wonder that I only worked for that company for 2 months before getting the h@ll out of there! ;) I just laughed it off and went back to my desk. Now if $$ was going to be involved... ;)

I took a night class in late 1988 for AutoCAD and the first few nights I was thinking how I could draft faster than this computer stuff. Then we were shown the array command and then the block command and I saw the light right then and there. I knew that I had better learn all I could about this AutoCAD because this was going to be life changing.

That and xrefs were more than 1 person can work on the same project at a time. What!!! Witchcraft I say!!!

I don't think that in the past 20 years that I've ever had to start drawings from scratch.

Most of the time I can find an existing floor plan or detail that I can saveas an modify to

get what I need. I have my own folder that I put drawings that I might use later or even

pieces of details or specialty items. On a funny note: I once drew some bathroom elevations

in which I had drawn the toilet paper strewn all over the bathroom and I had the sink faucet

on and the water overflowing onto the floor and I put graffiti on the walls. I also did some

details in which I put ransom type text for lettering. I actually submitted the drawings to

the Architect for review.

I don't think that in the past 20 years that I've ever had to start drawings from scratch.

Most of the time I can find an existing floor plan or detail that I can saveas an modify to

get what I need. I have my own folder that I put drawings that I might use later or even

pieces of details or specialty items. On a funny note: I once drew some bathroom elevations

in which I had drawn the toilet paper strewn all over the bathroom and I had the sink faucet

on and the water overflowing onto the floor and I put graffiti on the walls. I also did some

details in which I put ransom type text for lettering. I actually submitted the drawings to

the Architect for review.

Please find this and share with the group :)

I have had to start from scratch a few times. I have have to draw up a few buildings here on campus that did not have any thing but paper prints. Still WAY faster than hand drafting.

For concept stuff, I can think of a few peeps that are probably faster than cad.

Also I know some detailers would give it a good run as well on small pieces.

As to start from scratch, more than have my work would have a clean slate. -David

sketch.jpg

Yeah that's sketching David, not drafting ;) Most drafters I know couldn't "sketch" their way out of a wet paper bag. To me that is art and stands on it's own.

Honestly with AutoCAD Architecture's (ADT) Detail Component Manager I would race them. Sure it takes the "knowledge" out of it but it is SUCH a time saver.

adt-detail.jpg

I'm WAY out of practice, but at 1 time I did a lot metal flashings that worked well with lined graph paper. For the shop guys this was suffencient and made production pretty simple. The drawing followed the path from pulling the metal, shearing, bending and forming right to delivery.

flash.jpg

Oh yeah, that would be fine for them. No point in over doing it. You conveyed your design intention and they produced it. Everybody wins.

• 6 months later...

Holy smokes everybody. I still have everything mentioned in this thread, still in use next to my CAD station, (do we still call it that?) board included... Whenever I get ready to start building a drafting course, I actually draw it out from start to finish on the board... Then, when I'm happy with the result, it goes into CAD. Every single tool, or at least 99% of them, I have still in my arsenal with the exception of the blueprint machine. Call me redundant if you want, but it works for me.

Now if I design a home, it's straight to the CAD from sketches and notes.

Edited by ParsonTim
correct spelling