You know your an old draughtsman when...

Goomba

I got it Bill...it seems no one else did

I got it... I just didn't get an alert to this message. Actually, I still have and use my lead holder! I love it!

The sad part, I'm probably the youngest person to remember this stuff... but I went to a college that felt the need to teach us the old fashioned way BEFORE teaching us anything else. And I loved it!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• cadkiwi

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ruling pens could also double as roach clips as well.

Anyone here, besides me, still have a carousel? And I'm not talking about the one that you see at an amusement park.

Re: surveying. I have a K&E (Keuffel & Esser) field book (loose leaf no less) with a plastic, red/white, rectangular "target" taped to the front cover. Inside is a plastic sheet with distances from side stakes for cross-sectioning on one side and trigonometric formulae and reduction to horizontal diagrams/explanations on the other.

Funny guy

I still wake up shaking yelling Mark, Mark, Mark when it get cold out lol (rod holder from way back lol)

Have you ever had a surveyor throw a walkie talkie at you?

Have you ever had a surveyor throw a walkie talkie at you?

No, but I had a transitman throw a sight pole (also known as a range pole) at me once (just for fun). That red/white javelin arcing through the air sure got my attention!

Edited by ReMark

I got it... I just didn't get an alert to this message. Actually, I still have and use my lead holder! I love it!

The sad part, I'm probably the youngest person to remember this stuff... but I went to a college that felt the need to teach us the old fashioned way BEFORE teaching us anything else. And I loved it!

I agree, I am a young drafter at 21, but not only did I learn "board drafting" but used all the tools in it. The only tool that I did not use in college that I did get to use in highschool was a blueprint machine. I am now convinced that is where the term "smell of success" was coined lol

No, but I had a transitman throw a sight pole (also known as a range pole) at me once (just for fun). That red/white javelin arcing through the air sure got my attention!

Wow. Just for fun?

The guy on the tripod threw his walkie talkie at me because he thought I wasn't responding to the signals. We were near Andrews AFB and their transmitter tower completely destroyed any signal he might have been sending. After a brief discussion about why we learned hand signals and where walkie talkies might be inserted, and how uncomfortable he would be driving back to the office with it inserted in same, we got back down to business.

• 4 months later...

You know when you're an old draftsman when...

you think, "What I really need for this is drafting tape," and you find out nobody sells it any more.

I wish they would use drafting tape on the paper rolls for the plotters, here lately the tape on those rolls has refused to come off cleanly.

If I may --- you know you are old when you can remember:

That when nothing else worked to fix a problem you used the little red switch (on/off toggle switch) and yes it was red

When 64 mb of ram was tops

When you could make a directory on your hard disk and load a file in it and Microsoft did not mess with it.

Wen you had control of what was put on your computer (not Microsoft)

As for the drafting tape check http://www.dickblick.com - http://www.nationwidedrafting.com for a start.

I wish they would use drafting tape on the paper rolls for the plotters, here lately the tape on those rolls has refused to come off cleanly.

That's one of my pet peeves now too. Also can't seem to get a box of Wheaties open without tearing off the "recloseable" tabs on the top, or simply splitting the whole box open.

If I may --- you know you are old when you can remember:

That when nothing else worked to fix a problem you used the little red switch (on/off toggle switch) and yes it was red

When 64 mb of ram was tops

When you could make a directory on your hard disk and load a file in it and Microsoft did not mess with it.

Wen you had control of what was put on your computer (not Microsoft)

As for the drafting tape check http://www.dickblick.com - http://www.nationwidedrafting.com for a start.

64 mb? are you kidding? My first workstation PC had 512 kb. An IBM PC A/T.

If I remember right it was an Apple or the Apple II But then again my memory could be worse then I thought. :?

I remember this also.

If I may --- you know you are old when you can remember: ... When 64 mb of ram was tops ...

I think you mean 64 kilobytes....

And when I say I can't find drafting tape, I mean on the shelf at an office supply store or a craft shop. The nearest real art shop or printer's is about 20 miles away.