Autocad freezes computer

eckfox

Hi I am using Autocad 2009, my computer consists off:

Intel Quad Core 2.50 GHz

4 GB Ram

32 Bit Windows 7 Operating System

When I open Autocad everything is ok, but when I go to open a file through File and Open, my computer crashes and freezes. Nothing will work then and needs a restart. I can work with my files in Autocad through opening them in Windows Explorer with no problems.

thanks

Eckfox

Yes have updated all available service packs. The computer is relatively new and have tried Autocad 2010 and 2008 all doing the same thing. I have tried swapping the keyboard, mouse and monitor but all made no difference.

thanks

eckfox

Hi yes all other programs are fine. Cant understand why it does it with all versions of Autocad!

thanks

eckfox

No definately not, new computer running Intel Quad Core 2.50 GHz, 4 GB Ram and 32 Bit Windows 7 Operating System.

cheers

eckfox

Your computer and AutoCAD just don't want to get along.

When you had previous versions of AutoCAD on this computer did you remove them prior to loading the next version?

In the quad core each core is using 1 gig of ram.

I had this problem when I started up my new WS, after upgrading to 8 gig of ram the problem went away with out any other changes.

I do not know how this will effect a laptop though.

Can you upgrade the ram?

In the quad core each core is using 1 gig of ram.

:huh: Where did you get this information? RAM is accessed and used as needed. It's not specifically assigned to each core. If that were the case, why would anyone want to install a quad core processor? It would do more harm than good.

Can you upgrade the ram?

He's running a 32 bit OS. 4GB is the maximum.

yes i removed them through Windows Control Panel.

cheers

AutoDesk has a recommended uninstall procedure that also requires manual deletion of a couple of files/folders. Did you follow that procedure specifically or rely only upon the Add/Remove capabilities provided in the Control Panel?

Ah, I didn't remove files/folders separately, just the add/remove in Control Panel. Did you find the uninstall procedfure on the AutoDesk Web Site?

cheers

eckfox

:huh: Where did you get this information? RAM is accessed and used as needed. It's not specifically assigned to each core. If that were the case, why would anyone want to install a quad core processor? It would do more harm than good.

He's running a 32 bit OS. 4GB is the maximum.

Sorry missed that part.:oops:

Upgrading the ram worked on a 64 bit system. I was directed to do this by another member in a provious thread. I will try to find it.

Removed all files and folders as per link. Did a clean install of Auticad 2009, updated with service pack. Was working fine for about an hour, opening and closing drawings. Then went to open a file and the computer froze again like it was doing before! Is there a chance that say the graphics card would be conflicting with the computer?

cheers

eckfox