Technical Drawing (Transforming Arc Into Straight Line)

huygen

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please tell me how to transform any arcs into straight line using both traditional technical drawing and AutoCAD?

Thank you very much in advance

Huygen

How to transform an arc into a straight line? Odd question. What are you drawing?

There is no "magic" button that transforms an arc into a straight line in AutoCAD. Maybe the best you could do is use the Pedit command on it, turn it into a polyline then use the Decurve option to flatten it out. It's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Well. In AutoCAD, if you want to get the length of a segment of a circle you can determine without trimming out the arc to get the "Arc Length" in properties.

Circle = 10 dia.

10*3.141597 = 31.4159 (just as Autocad reports it)

now divide

31.4159\360 = .087 per degree

therefore an arc segment of 128 deg is

128*.087 = 11.13

As reported in Autocad:

arc_lng.png

Can be useful if you don't want to trim your circles to get an arc segment length. just get the angle.

KC

Changing the arc to a line.. without changing the endpoints? or while maintaining the length of the arc?

He's looking for the EASY button. I saw one in my local Staples store this morning. Should I go back, buy it and send it to him via overnight mail?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please tell me how to transform any arcs into straight line using both traditional technical drawing and AutoCAD?

Thank you very much in advance

Huygen

In traditional drafting you would divide the arc into equal length segments. This might be done by taking a pair of dividers and setting them an arbitrary distance apart. Then you would start at one end of the arc and swing the dividers around to the arc, 'walking' along to the end of the arc. If there was a space left then you adjusted the dividers and tried again. When you got it close enough you could measure the distance between the points and multiply or use the dividers to 'walk' along a straight line the same number of segments.

With AutoCAD you list the arc and draw a line that length.

In traditional drafting you would divide the arc into equal length segments. This might be done by taking a pair of dividers and setting them an arbitrary distance apart. Then you would start at one end of the arc and swing the dividers around to the arc, 'walking' along to the end of the arc. If there was a space left then you adjusted the dividers and tried again. When you got it close enough you could measure the distance between the points and multiply or use the dividers to 'walk' along a straight line the same number of segments.

With AutoCAD you list the arc and draw a line that length.

Or use the divide command on it to place equally spaced nodes on the arc (as many as you want).. then erase the arc, and use Line or pline to connect the dots.

Or use the divide command on it to place equally spaced nodes on the arc (as many as you want).. then erase the arc, and use Line or pline to connect the dots.

May as well draw a polygon with x number of sides from the center line of the arc to a quadrant. Break it using the arc for start and stop point.

Hopefully the OP is satisfied with one of these answers as the "cat is skinned".