Changing solid surfaces in order to 3d printing

nosoutros

Hi people :)

I have a question (thats why im here :?), i need to create some effects in solids, like increasing the roughness. But they have to be "real" because i would like to have a copy of the object in a 3d printer.

So, do you think this is possible in autocad? Do you another program if its not possible?

Thanks a lot guys!!! :)

PD: actually im using autocad 2007 and 2010

3451418.jpg

I think this would be nearly impossible in AutoCAD - I am not aware of any software that will do this. You might be able to post process the model with sand blasting or coat it in a plaster slurry and add sand for texture, then paint.

I suspect post processing the model would be much more efficient even if you can find software to add solid texture.

What is it that you are trying to model?

I should mention - I have a Stratasys Prodigy Plus, a Dimensions U Print, 2 zCorp and one 3D Systems 3D priniting machines.

yeah.. a 3d printer follows a mesh.. if you want "roughness" you need to do some surface modelling to get it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im sorry for the picture i attached, probably it was not the best example. This would be better:

350x350_buck1.jpg

So i would like to add something similar, to distinguish the "details part" from the bottom. The object im sculpting is going to be a pattern for casting, so the colour is not important.

If Autocad cant do this do you know another program???

That is a completely different problem statement from your original.

You can do that in AutoCAD, but I would use Autodesk Inventor.

Students can download Inventor (and AutoCAD) for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

If you are looking for a "Easy Button" solution - there isn't one. You need to learn 3D modeling. Fortunately you have a lot of repetition and symmetry in the design which can be used to dramatically reduce the amount of work. Unfortunately this isn't a beginner project.

The "roughness" would still be a hand process made in the mold after the details machined - actually the original was probably all done by hand. But of course these days I would model in 3D CAD program the design.

The newer machines will use bump map information to print to solid. Some will even print in color! I went to a presentation mid year last year from a local print shop that does the 3d prints. They had a member of the company that produces the printer on site, which gave the information. So your best bet is to contact the person that will be printing the model for you and see if they have the newest machines with that capability. We have had one of our houses printed so far (older machine) and it turned out GREAT!

The newer machines will use bump map information to print to solid.

Can you post a url to specifications of a machine that will do this?

To my knowledge, none will bump map print.. although I've seen one do surface printing. You're perhaps thinking of bitmap print, if not, I'd love to see those specs too. I don't know how they'd manage to do an outside corner without looking horrible because there's no static corner projection, it changes based on the angle you view it from.

A bump map is a whole different ballgame, defining "fake 3d" through contrasts, as opposed to just being a picture on the surface which is what a bitmap would be.

Let me see if I can find the info for you. It might be on our printer's website.

http://www.adscolorado.com/slideshow.asp

this is company we use for the printing. The one picture of the shingle house is an example they had used for printing "textures" to the model. Along with it being printed in color. They contract out to another company for model prep named cadspan or something similar. I am having problems finding the info on the website for the contract company.... I might be mistaken but I could have sworn they were talking into taking into account texture and bump map to print the "texture" on the printed model with the new printers.

This one is the only one that really looked "textured" to me but I suspect post-processing on the texture as well as the color.

http://www.adscolorado.com/3dimages/Architectural/H-Spanish%20Style%20Resort%20Top%20View.jpg

We have a ZCorp color printer and the way it handles color makes me skeptical. As far as I know *.stl format does not have a color component. So any model output as *.stl from a CAD program will not have color information. The color is added by proprietary software as a sort of "decal" on the part.

If you happen to run across any more information I am interested in following how this technology is progressing.

JD, that textured one you posted, has the same texture on the windows.. I agree with your assessment.. Since the 3d print-outs are little more than glue and sand, I suspect it would be easy to get that final textured finish once it's been printed.

In fact, the texture is also present on what should be flat/smooth glass panes, which I'd imagine was a mistake.

(note: I know it's not really "glue" and "sand", I understand the process, but I trust you understand what I mean)

The shingle house he noted, DOES have a texture to it, but it looks like that's because the tile "textures" are actually part of the model mesh itself. That would also explain why you sent the files out-of-house to get that effect, rather than just pushing a button somewhere and getting shingles imprinted on the model surface.

Oh.. and JD? I'm jealous as hell.. have you done a real skull with it yet? I've always wanted to do that. :)