Is there a way to see the assemblies a part is associated with?

gargoyle27

I keep finding ipts and I wonder what iams they are a part of, is there a way to easily find out with out having to find the proper iam manually?

i mean that i don't know what assembly it's part of if any, and i have quite a few assemblies to look through so that would be very tedious and ultimately a waste of time to go through each one, one by one to find if one little part is even being used

The typical procedure is to create a Project directory and every part that is used in that project is located in this project directory. If you use multiple parts its best to include them in a project folder. If the assembly cant find the ipts in that project directory it has a problem and lets you know. I believe the parts dont hold any reference to an assembly document so no i dont think there is a way to do this.

I think there is a technique in Design Assistant to find Where Used, but as I always use a well defined project structure I have never used DA.

Where Used.jpg

yeah, ive been re-organizing everything because the guy before me had zero organization skills and the filing system is a mess so i'm trying to fix it and i keep finding poorly labeled files that i think are parts of assemblies but i don't know which ones

Autodesk Vault can help with this. To be honest, I've never tried design assistant. It looks like it may have similar functions. Hope that helps.

Regards, David.

yeah, ive been re-organizing everything because the guy before me had zero organization skills and the filing system is a mess so i'm trying to fix it and i keep finding poorly labeled files that i think are parts of assemblies but i don't know which ones

For my own curiosity sake, how are you labelling the files? Alpha numerical combination ie. CEA16625-0001.ipt, etc, , or description of some sort ie. washer, flange gusset, etc etc? I'm in a similar situation where there has been no organisation system implemented, or actually, there was, but each person has their own particular method in their heads, and there had been like 9 different people before my time ...