Scale in AutoCad

Frazer1987

For the best results...

Model space: Draw full size without a doubt. Do not scale anything unless you are meaning to enlarge or reduce the size of an object.

Viewports (in Layout): User's choice. The sky's the limit. Don't like the scales AutoCAD gives you create some of your own and add them to the scale list.

Layout: 1:1 no question about it. Makes printing/plotting a whole lot simpler.

But I'm sure you knew all this already you sly dog you. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• gsksun4

• Frazer1987

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You were rite that u should make a line of 130mm (on paper) as 130x150=19500mm on model space. Whwn you will print then you should scale the print at 1:150, it will gives you the size exactly tht you got on paper. you have the rite tech in your mind and that was rite!:wink:

You were rite tht you can make a line of 130mm as 130x150=19500mm. If u want to make line of whatever length on paper, just multiply that length to your scale in model space of autocad.:wink:

.. can see all of the line as it wont let me go any firther than i already have.

In addition to z a and re I would turn Limits off (please tell me you aren't using grid, if so, turn that off as well).

For the best results...

Model space: Draw full size without a doubt. Do not scale anything unless you are meaning to enlarge or reduce the size of an object.

Viewports (in Layout): User's choice. The sky's the limit. Don't like the scales AutoCAD gives you create some of your own and add them to the scale list.

Layout: 1:1 no question about it. Makes printing/plotting a whole lot simpler.

But I'm sure you knew all this already you sly dog you. :)

Not as sly as you think, I'm struggling with the viewport thing. I know how to create a viewport, I've done that many times, but it was for 1 viewport for the entire drawing. It's isolating an area and plotting that area to scale I'm having trouble with. I'm trying to follow that tutorial where the lady takes you through it step by step, but have problems. One of which is not getting back into plain old model space without view setups. I'll have to try it again when I have more time here at work.

That lady? You mean Lynn Allen?

Getting in and out of model space and your layout can be accomplished in a couple of ways.

So, you want to create a layout with multiple viewports yet only plot what is showing in one of them?

That lady? You mean Lynn Allen?

Getting in and out of model space and your layout can be accomplished in a couple of ways.

So, you want to create a layout with multiple viewports yet only plot what is showing in one of them?

I've never isolated only one small part of a drawing in a viewport. I know how to create the viewport, I can't get that part to print out. At all. I wanted to test plotting one small area in that viewport to scale. I don't know the ladies name, she narrates thatm tutorial Tankman posted a link to in ther dimensioning in isometric thread.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/course/48-568/2DVideosWEB_files/frame.htm

One of the neat things about creating a viewport is that you can isolate that one small part of the drawing and give it a larger scale so the "detail" can be seen. I would have thought you had experimented with that capability already. If it is just that one viewport you want to print for some reason use the Window option but don't forget it still has to fit on the paper you selected and you should still plot 1:1 since you are doing it from within a layout.

how do you turn limits off so you can see all of your drawing in model space?

The fact that Limits are ON/OFF does not have any effect whether you can see all the drawing. ZOOM EXTENTS will always adjust/magnify the field of view so that you can see everything.

If you feel you need to turn off limits, type LIMITS at the command line, and then type OFF.

Switch to a Layout. This will give you access to paper space.

Create one or more viewports (depending on your needs). The viewport is your window looking back into model space. It is the viewport that is given a scale.

Suggestions:

Type UCSICON at the command line. Then type "ON". Note that when you are in a layout the UCS symbol will change from the X/Y arrow symbol to a triangle.

Create a layer for your viewports (I call mine Vports). Make sure to set it NOT to print. Switch to that layer.

Questions:

Are you using the Ribbon or are you using what AutoDesk calls the "classic" drop-down menus? Do you use toolbars?

When you switch to a Layout for the first type (there should be a Model and a Layout1 tab at the bottom of your screen) the Page Setup Manager may appear. Click the Modify button and pre-select your Printer/Plotter, Paper Size and Plot Style Table. Then click on the OK button at the bottom. Back at the first window click on the close button. A viewport frame should appear on your page. Some or all of your model space objects should appear in the viewport.

Double-clicking inside the frame gives us access to model space. Double-clicking outside of the frame pops us back into our layout.

Use MView to create a viewport. Make sure you create a viewport layer first and set it not to print.

Suggestion: Turn on the Viewports toolbar. You can create viewports and control their scale from it quite easily.

i assume the viewpoets tab is on as there is options on the botttome right of my screen. Am still confused though as too how u get a drawing in the model space to appear on the paper space?

Objects in model space will only be visible in your layout IF you have created a viewport.

You might as well ask how can I see the maple tree in front of my house? My answer would be Install a window dude!

Tips:

The shape of your viewport(s) can be edited with grips.

Viewports do not have to be rectangular; they can be odd shapes like polygons or circles.

Any closed shape can be converted to a viewport.

To quickly check a viewport's scale double-click inside the viewport then look on your Viewport toolbar. My personal favorite.

Viewports can be turned off. Not really recommended in the normal course of a drawing.

Viewports can be locked. Highly recommended after the scale has been assigned.

Layers can be frozen independently per viewport.

okay i see what your saying. What if though you have 5 different drawings in model space and you create 5 layouts, one for each drawing, how do you assign each drawing to a different layout?