Scale in AutoCad

Frazer1987

Your good news (...great progress for me) and enthusiasm Glenn has brightend my day. You're entirely welcomed.

Glad your day is better. I'd like to wrap up my part here by reviewing one last thing. The scale in the viewport is the only one to set that's not 1:1, page setup mgr, plot tool are both 1:1, correct?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• gsksun4

• Frazer1987

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is correct. Our viewport scale is independent of anything else. That means we could have 10 viewports on our page at ten different scales and still plot at 1:1 from our layout. Neat don't you think?

Remember the days of creating a detail on the same sheet as the rest of the drawing and having no way to do it to a different scale? Dimensioning the detail was a lot of fun too! At least some things have improved.

That is correct. Our viewport scale is independent of anything else. That means we could have 10 viewports on our page at ten different scales and still plot at 1:1 from our layout. Neat don't you think?

Remember the days of creating a detail on the same sheet as the rest of the drawing and having no way to do it to a different scale? Dimensioning the detail was a lot of fun too! At least some things have improved.

I remember drawing a complete truck unloading station to 1/4" scale, doing the math on each field measurement, not realizing I could just plot to 1/4: scale. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way.

Just one thing. I inserted my border at 1:1 into that drawing, around the viewport and it doesn't fit into the layout area. Overlaps into the gray area. The border is 34" wide by 23" high. Now the border doesn't plot. The first one this morning, I scaled the border to fit in the layout area. I'm plotting on 24" paper and need a 22"x34" plot. Any thoughts?

OK, I see the border is larger than the plot area. Tweaking is right. Had to read back a few posts.

Some tweaking required.

I've had the same problem once or twice. Seems AutoCAD and I disagreed on what could actually fit on the sheet.

Some tweaking required.

I've had the same problem once or twice. Seems AutoCAD and I disagreed on what could actually fit on the sheet.

Everything's fine. I've already entered all this info in my notes for future reference. The fit thing is because I have a 24" plotter. That border is 1:1 and I don't usually have to scale my drawings, so normally I scale the border around the floor plan and plot at "scale to fit". But, I always wanted to know the viewport scale procedure.

Now I do, thanks to you.