3D solids print solid lines, not set linetype

kevinj45

So this has been a problem for years that Autodesk has not bothered to fix to the best of my knowledge. If you print a solid model, whether it be an xref or not, it prints in solid lines, even if it is a reference block and is supposed to print in hidden, phantom, or anything otherwise. Anyone have any suggestions for getting it to print true other than to solprof the thing and lose all functionality?

Thanks.

Autodesk has not bothered to fix ...any suggestions for getting it to print true other than ... lose all functionality?

Autodesk has developed a number of vertical applications that overcome the limitations of AutoCAD.

In Autodesk Inventor (for MCAD) you could set to Overlay View any linetype you desire. Drawing maintains associativity to 3D model.

Autodesk has developed a number of vertical applications that overcome the limitations of AutoCAD.

In Autodesk Inventor (for MCAD) you could set to Overlay View any linetype you desire. Drawing maintains associativity to 3D model.

Thanks JD,

Any suggestions for fixing this issue in Mechanical Desktop 2010 other than buying a several thousand dollar add on software?

Thanks JD,

Any suggestions for fixing this issue in Mechanical Desktop 2010 other than buying a several thousand dollar add on software?

Inventor is free with Mechanical Desktop (although there is no version 2010 Mechanical Desktop? - it was discontinued with v2009?).

Inventor is not an "add-on", it is completely different than AutoCAD based MDT.

Inventor is free with Mechanical Desktop (although there is no version 2010 Mechanical Desktop? - it was discontinued with v2009?).

Inventor is not an "add-on", it is completely different than AutoCAD based MDT.

You're right, I am running AutoCAD Mechanical 2010, not Mechanical Desktop.

I'm starting to think it's not possible to print correctly with this software.

I'm starting to think it's not possible to print correctly with this software.

Well, I'm pretty sure you can, you just have to accept the workarounds and associativity limitations of the software you have.

(BTW AutoCAD Mechanical is also free with Inventor.)