How to create water effect in Autocad?

odod

I'll try to make it as short and simple as possible...

1. I'm using a checkered backdrop to let you visualize what's going on, you may omit it for your render,
    001.gif
  2. Create a new material, name it WATER, apply it to the region you want to show as water. Using the advanced material type, assign some reflection to the material, render and check...
    002.gif
  3. Next add some bump, for this use the "waves" map type as shown, your settings may vary depending on the scale you're working on and your distance from the origin (0,0). Render again and fine tune the settings till you get something that looks like this:
    003.gif
  4. Now add a Texture Map for "Diffuse Map", some image like the following. Scale it if its too tiny or large. Render again. You'll get it after some tweaking...
    004.gif
  5. The settings that worked for me
    flag02.jpg

I hope that was clear.

flag01.jpg

I'm confused.. does the water in your image have a thickness? or is it just a flat plane, reflecting the backdrop?

It came out great, I just wondered because you talked about using transparency, which should have let you see through it, and you made no mention of reflectivity, and yet it appears to be reflecting the tiled backdrop, and actually isn't transparent at all?

...and you made no mention of reflectivity, and yet it appears to be reflecting the tiled backdrop...

Sorry mate! ...my mistake, I actually meant reflectivity. A fair example of bad hand-and-mind coordination!!! :lol:

ahh.. very nice, thanks! I'm on 2004 and although I don't do much water, it's nice to see they've significantly improved the bump maps.

Are those are standard 2008 menus shown?

It means that those menus are what you see when you're working on material settings, if you have 2008. You have 2007.. the technique is the same, but the menus might look a little different.